freeview vs sky picture quality?

usman24

I own a humax freeview pvr and I think the picture quality is blocky and very average. I recently watched some program material at my mates house who has a sky+ box and the picture quality is about 40% better with good colours and hardly any digital nasties. Is the broadcast bit rate on sky much higher than freeview or is the mpeg decoder on my freeview box rubbish?

What is sky's average bitrate? I know freeview is probably about 2-4 mbps judging by the picture quality.

bob1

I have sky as well as freeview and the freeview is better than sky routed the same way.
I have sky connected to the plasma via s-video but have freeview connected rgb to a dvd/hdd recorder then out as s-video ,if i connect sky to the dvd/hdd recorder it isn't as good as freeview and by quite a bit.When i get hold of another scart to s-video lead i will be able to do a better comparison.I have only just got the freeview box and i'm very impressed with the quality of the picture.

Starburst

Novice Member
usman24 said:
I own a humax freeview pvr and I think the picture quality is blocky and very average. I recently watched some program material at my mates house who has a sky+ box and the picture quality is about 40% better with good colours and hardly any digital nasties. Is the broadcast bit rate on sky much higher than freeview or is the mpeg decoder on my freeview box rubbish?

What is sky's average bitrate? I know freeview is probably about 2-4 mbps judging by the picture quality.

For the BBC, ITV and CH4 DTT is regarded as the better option with only Five being significantly better on Dsat. Bitrates as well as resolution tend to be higher on DTT, ITV in particular treat Dsat with utter contempt.
I have the 9200 and the picture quality (good signal from local transmitter) is perfectly acceptable piped to a modest CRT using RGB scart, be aware that a 100hz CRT with digital processing can do a lot of damage to picture quality so that may be a factor (if you have that sort of TV).

Andy3

Banned
I think there are swings and roundabouts, and of course some channels look better than others, but..
As I've mentioned before, although DTT often has fewer 'gritty' effects, I do have one major gripe with DTT. Faces look like they've been caked in make-up, rather flat and featureless skin. Also there is a 'cutout' look to faces, like they are flat and added onto the background a bit like a matte shot.
If it wasn't for these effects I'd probably watch DTT more often, but as it is, it drives me nuts and I watch SKY instead.

aluk

Standard Member
I have a Humax 9200 and a very good picture. However I had to upgrade the ariel and have a signal booster and I am not in a freeview area. Sometimes the picture is affected to some degree by the weather. I also have freesat from sky and that is pretty good too. I just wondered if your ariel is up to the job. If not you are left with the probem, do you spend money on an ariel upgrade or on a £150 freesat installation.

cooperda

Andy3 said:
I think there are swings and roundabouts, and of course some channels look better than others, but..
Using Freeview I watched Smallville on E4 - but because I missed the first part I watch the bginning later on the E4+1 channel - and the picture was much better!

Cheers, Dave C.

machinehead

i have a technomate 1500 and the pictures are superb.sky pictures tend to be compressed and therefore not as good as the other sats.try 19e on the fta german channels to see how superior satelite pictures really can be[and are].