1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview vs Sky Digital PQ? (and a Pioneer 435XDE...)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by clemas, Dec 12, 2004.

1. clemas

clemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks to some pointers I got on an earlier post, I went for a 435 demo yesterday, the Euro 1080 feed that I saw into this screen was really incredible. And DVD was excellent too. However, most of my viewing is Sky Digital and so I needed to be comfortable with the PQ of it before buying. They didn't have a Sky input in the shop but they could show me the freeview picture - They must have had the screen on 'TMF' (The Music Factory is it?) for a good long while as when I switched channels I could still see the TMF logo in the corner :eek: . I flicked down to the BBC channels (majority of my viewing) and they were .... ok .... but not brilliant, I could still see artifacts here and there - I know, I know, I'm probably asking too much. But it made me think - what is difference in PQ between Freeview and Sky Digital feeds of the same channel? Are $ky more generous with their bandwidth? I'm hoping to see one with Sky input in a week or so - I'm just wondering if I should be prepared for it to look better or worse than what I saw yesterday.

I still can't make my flippin mind up ...
    Andy.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Since BBC via Freeview looks better be prepared to get a Freeview box as well

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sorry, I don't agree. I have Sky+ and Freeview, and the major channels look the same on both.

4. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to agree with Martin. All the freeview channels I get are at least marginally better than Sky+. The BBC channels are spectacular on freeview, much more resolution and detail, they completely blow Sky away.

My freeview is integrated with a Sony plasma. Martin's got an integrated Sony one as well (CRT looks like). I wonder whether this explains the differences people see.
    Maybe it's better because it's integrated or maybe Sony simply make a superior freeview receiver?

5. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's possible they had a poorly setup aerial. What sort of artifacts were they? Blockiness of the picture would suggest there was problems with the signal (rather than the tv).

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The 435XDE has freeview built in :)

7. clemas

clemas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The kind of little blocky bits of around logos or the edges of objects (stop me if I'm getting too technical :laugh: - I'm not sure of the proper name for these kind of artifact). I initially thought it could be the poorly setup aerial - but then isn't digital meant to be all or nothing, so you get a 'perfect' picture (as good as it can be) or no picture at all, there isn't an in between ?

Right underneath the 435XDE they had some hitatchi screens (the ones with the gray glass surround) - I have to say the picture looked a little better on those *but* they were smaller, 32" I think - so the artifacts weren't so large.

Andy.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have compared my TV to an Ondigital box - TV better!

Twin vs TV is different TV gets more detail from the signal (look at hair) but the box is better at handling poor signals

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Could I also say that my Nokia 221T produces a little better picture for all BBC channels (terrestrial feed) on my 434 HDE compared to Sky Digibox satellite. However, I also noticed that that the BBC channels through satellite look just about the same with freeview through an Echostar AD-3600 digital satellite receiver. So, the equipment is also a factor...

10. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like anti-aliasing artifacts, which (I think) is down to the digital processing of the TV rather than the signal.

Having said that, there was a post in a different thread by a tester for JVC. When they tested their TV with a higher bitstream (ie more detail/information) a lot of the artifacts disappeared. Unfortunately this is not going to happen in the real world :(

Yes, digital is all or nothing but rather than the whole picture disappearing you see strips or patches of blocks where part of the signal has been lost temporarily.

Agreed. The larger the display the more obvious the artifacts become. My 14" Sony produces an exceptional picture when compared to a newer 17" Sony (both analogue), however the freeview digital picture on the 37" is still better than both!