1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview vs Good terrestrial signal vs Sky

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by totalmadness, Apr 1, 2005.

1. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was doing a few tests on my Hitachi 42PD5200 and was amazed at the quality I get from the standard terrestrial signal. Although it the picture suffers from noise it is miles better than the picture I get from Sky. This led me to think about the quality of picture achieved if a Freeview box was used. Has anyone tested all 3? Which provided the better picture.

Also, does anyone know if the compression used for freeview is the same the same type that is used by Sky broadcasts?

Thanks.

2. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    i have a good terrestrial signal which is far superior to NTL cable. I recently got a FV box and the picture is slightly better than the analogue signal...but with occassional banding (solarisation?) on large areas of a single colour at times on some channels (not really an issue though). The biggest bonus though is that the signal is broadcast in widescreen!

3. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny thing is I have recently noticed solarisation a couple of times on my CRT - it's only after reading about it and then looking for it I have noticed it.

I have a 33" Toshiba CRT 4:3 fed via scart from a Sky + box.

and there was me thinking it was only a Plasma issue.

4. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh my suspicions were correct. I am considering switching to a freeview box for all other viewing. BBC1, football and Eastenderes is extremely bad!

5. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I agree! Can't understand why my SO insists on watching the tripe!

6. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will start to notice the rapid drop in prices for freeview boxes very soon. As the goverment starts to turn off the analouge broadcasts, they will push for a drop in freeview box prices!

7. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tested analogue and freeview into Viera. Brand new ariel installation, both analogue and digital strong signals.

The freeview is far better. By comparison analogue is grainy/fuzzy. Maybe CRT would be more forgiving.

8. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Not exactly sure how the government can affect retail pricing...but I get your sentiments. Although, in theory, market forces would dictate that higher demad = higher prices (if supply remains constant).

Economics lesson over.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Freeview is supposed to be significantly better than Sky because of higher bit-rates (or at least it used to be, I don't know if it still is). IMO a good quality terrestrial analogue signal is still as good as it gets for 4:3 programmes. For anything that's shown in widescreen, sadly terrestrial analogue will only ever give you it letterboxed while digital will give you it anamorphic, which is a big improvement.