1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview via Satellite (FreeSat) - info required

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by lonewaller, Jul 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. lonewaller

lonewaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a couple of questions regarding FreeSat & the Sky box (Amstrad)

Does FreeSat broadcast in stereo? I ask because when viewing channels via the RF signal the TV states "stereo" but when viewing via satellite it shows "mono". Can't see any obvious settings to change on the digibox.

I may require to move the location of my TV. Is there any problem in adding an extension cable for the digibox satellite signal? It would be about 2m long. Signal strength appears to be about 80-90% although signal quality is only around 20%.

Brian

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The channels do transmit in stereo, but the RF modulator in a Sky box does not have a NICAM encoder. So you only get stereo if you connect the box to the TV via a scart cable.

3. lonewaller

lonewaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

As the Sky box only outputs RGB via its "TV scart" I have that connected to my DVD/VHS combi (AV2 -Ext Scart). I then go from here via AV1 (TV) to the TV (Toshiba 32ZP48) on Scart 1 (Ext 1).

As the digibox only outputs "composite" from its VCR scart, I assume there's no point in linking that to the TV.

So "mono" it is then.

Brian