Freeview v2.0 to be announced in 2008

Tech News

Reaction score
A new digital terrestrial broadcast standard will be announced in 2008. The upcoming DVB-T2 specification will be compatible with existing DVB-T services such as Freeview, but would be capable of a wide variety of new services. Speaking at the recent IBC Expo Peter MacAvock, executive director of the DVB-T2 project, promised that the technology would [...]
More...

So tell everyone that they have to change over to digital freeview in preparation for analogue turn off and then immidiately bring out a new standard that requires them to change their stb again to make the most of it, classic

I dont see anything wrong here - it wont be available till 2010, and it wont add any new TV content - just HD versions of existing channels, and some non-TV content which will be broadcast in the same signal.

I see mass confusion on the horizon. The people that visit these forums are generally in the know - but Joe Bloggs won't have a clue.

Interesting. It makes sense to update to v2. rather than it staying the same - that's progress.

Also considering that Freeview boxes are only a tenner at Tesco and in some parts of the country they are getting 'em free for switch-off - that means they won't cost must, the only downside is TV's and DVD's that have them built in may not be upgradeable.

In 2008 FreeSat is coming out as well which will carry more channels and HD-channels - that will probably be V2 as well since it is still in design.

Looks like I might have to have two dishes on my wall to get all the HD channels since $ky is a rip-off.

Makes me sick that they get loads of HD channels free in the states.

Makes me sick that they get loads of HD channels free in the states.

For me, having to sit through brain-numbing adverts that interrupt films etc and have the nerve treat me like a moron is a price I am not prepared to pay.
I don't have Sky, but is it true you pay a subscription AND get adverts - double whammy.
Alan

So tell everyone that they have to change over to digital freeview in preparation for analogue turn off and then immidiately bring out a new standard that requires them to change their stb again to make the most of it, classic

read the small print..it's going to be back compatible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom