Freeview USB2 PVR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by morphman, Oct 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for one of these.

I see the nebula one is out of stock. Any other suggestions?

It HAS to be USB2 and external, I have a small form PC plugged into my home theatre.

Does the hauppage one have PVR for the full 7-day epg? it seems to state now/next only.

2. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I did some of my own research,
    and have bought the Artec Digital TV USB2 freeview receiver and PVR software.

The box is excellent. About 3" x 2", powered by the USB cable, so great for Desktop, not so good for laptops. The only other connector is the aerial lead, which it actually coems with a really cute aerial, which even works in my low signal home (not all channels tho).

The software leaves a bit to be desired, and im not sure you can itegrate it with any other software (i hope u can any ideas anyone?)

PC World are selling it for £69.99 so its very reasonable for what it is.

Anyone else heard of this product, and had any experiences with it?

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, thats it.

However, the software really sux. I have found that the schedule is controlled by a .ini file, so it will be possible to code your own scheduler.

At the moment, the built in scheduler has a very simple start/stop interface, but doesnt allow repeat programming, doesnt detect the epg, and has to have the program running 24x7 to pick up the schedules.

5. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it seems that nebula have some stock of their superb USB2 freeview receiver/pvr, so ive taken my artec one back and bought a nebula one :)

6. jmbrighton

jmbrighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Artec Digital TV USB2 freeview receiver this week. Was attracted by the compact box which is nice... thats where the good news ends! I've attempted to install the software several times [90 mins of playing about!]. Eventually when installed and I try to scan the channels an error box appears with "can not configure microsoft directshow filers". This means nothing to me and without any options or troubleshooting guides there is little to be done.

Anyone know the way around this?

The box itself is neat but if it does not function then it is useless and will be returned for sure!

7. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would take it back. The software is REALLY bad. All it does is allow you to watch TV. You can record, but it is very cumbersome as you have to set the start/end time and cant see any EPG. The other bad thing is that you cant rename the cahnels, and you cant tell which channels are which.

Your problem sounds like you need to re-install directx 9.

8. jmbrighton

jmbrighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Morph, I'm thinking along those lines already. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement?

9. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0