freeview USB

kokolino23

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to buy an USB freeview tuner so I can record some of the TV programs using my PC.
Can I ask what would you recommend, please?
Many thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I'd like to buy an USB freeview tuner so I can record some of the TV programs using my PC.
Can I ask what would you recommend, please?
Many thanks!

I think most of us would not recommend anything.

USB freeview tuners are much of a muchness... prone to poorish reception, run hot and difficult to control easily.

But they are cheap and cheerful... and there is unlikely to be any great difference between them - so just buy anything you can find that appeals.

Yep, unless you want to record Freeview HD for which you will need one of the few DVB-T2 dongles on the market that cost around £60; get one which appeals the most and are the cheapest. Some sold on a well known auction site will also pick up DAB radio. (Personally, I would avoid any seller who uses the Freeview logo or a counterfeit version of it as NONE are formally approved by Freeview after testing by the Digital Television Group.) In most cases you can use Windows Media Center (sic) to watch live and make recordings from the TV using their electronic programme guide.

Last edited:
Thanks Ibear, I was thinking about that DVB-T2 as I've read lots of positive reviews. I might get one of those.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How about using a scart freeview adapter or something like the Grundig Freeview box that records to USB pen drives. Recordings are saved as mpegs. I have both and they work well. They just need a spare scart socket on a TV.

Premier AV TV-1108V-SD Mini SCART Freeview Receiver with Recording via USB Flash Memory Stick
Different thing entirely (and judging by the comments about running hot, I suspect Gavtech may have also conflated the same two different things) Those SCART based adapters need to be "tuned to" to display what is being recorded and were intended as Freeview adapters for analogue only televisions. They use a separate power supply, usually a wall type adapter.

What we are talking about are USB "dongles" that connect direct to a a computer and use the 5v power from the USB socket. They often come with their own program but most can be used quite happily with Windows Media Center to both watch live and schedule recordings. Simple DVB-T tuner sticks are available for under £10 including a little aerial which works perfectly OK in strong signal areas. I usually advise people to get a short USB extension lead to ease the mechanical wear on the computer's USB connection or avoid damage to the dongle.

Recordings can be to either the hard drive or a USB memory stick (assuming you have a spare port) without the need to faff about physically transferring the media to the computer.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I know what you are talking about. I had a Freecom USB dongle. It was an alternative suggestion as I said "how about" as he just wants a recording for a computer. If a TV has a spare scart (doesn't have to be a RGB one as it won't be used for watching) then it will work. Nothing has to be tuned into the TV. It just runs of a scart and daisy chain the aerial for best reception. They work well when I want to record another channel which is then eventually played either on my WDTV or tablet.

Many thanks, would you mind telling me what model is it, please?
I was looking at the Hauppauge T2 but this is about £55.

Many thanks, would you mind telling me what model is it, please?
I was looking at the Hauppauge T2 but this is about £55.

That one (cheaper at Dabs ebay site BTW) is the only one generally available so far. Doing a quick search there reveals another USB stick model (and a receiver that it's claimed will record to for @£34) but these are direct sales from the Far East.

Frankly I would recommend getting one of the generic DVB-T sticks available for under a tenner to get used to using one and wait until the DVB-T2 market develops a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom