Freeview upscaled to 1080i or 720p?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by RichKS, May 2, 2007.

1. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm looking for a new box. Do any upscale to 1080i or 720P? If so, so they connect vial HDMI or component?

Finally, this is going to be connected to a wall mounted LCD. There's no cabinet near it, so I'd ideally want to wall mount this or something. Are there any freeview boxes which are designed for that kind of thing?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    Your TV will upscale whatever you feed it with, to its native resolution anyway. If the TV is a 1360x768 model, then it will upscale everything incoming to 768p (except 1080, which will be downscaled). The only benefit in having an upscaling box would be if its scaler is better than the one in the TV AND can match exactly the TV's native resolution.

3. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    No point in upscaling freeview anyway, as currently the quality that it is broadcast at is crap (most of the channels).

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    No point? If you have an LCD TV* (or any other pixel based technology), then the signal absolutely HAS to be upscaled. And it is - by the TV.

(* except a certain set of models from Sharp with a low native resolution panel).

5. ofer_barr

ofer_barr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a direct answer, but my observations;

I have a Toppy outputting component to a Denon 4306 which is upscaling to 1080i to a Sharp 52" LCD.

When the TS bandwidth is good - think BBC prime time such as Dr Who - then the upscaling works very well and is far better than either the built in tuner on the TV or feeding a 576i in via HDMI (i.e. pass through on the 4306).

Yes, if the bandwidth is crap (think UKTV History or Sky 3) then the upscaling shows it off in all it's rotten glory.

The one problem I have is that the TV is pretty crap at deinterlacing, or so it appears, the 1080i signal - remember that the interlace is also upscaled and so the TV has to effectively interpolate and deinterlace...

At 720p the amp does a slightly better job but I have gone with 1080i because eventually the TV locks on to the interlace and works fine.