1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Upgrade

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by daveb975, Jan 1, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Having just bought a plasma, I have brought an old Philips ONDigital box out of retirement to feed it with a TV signal.

Connected via SCART, the quality is acceptable, although I am experiencing quite a lot of signal break up.

I have read on the forum about the relative merits of each of the current batch of Freeview boxes, but would these offer a significant PQ advantage over the old Philips?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Signal break up is usually the sign of a insufficient signal from the aerial.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You would be better off with a new box and aerial.

4. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I will probably be told otherwise, the advantages of getting a brand new wideband UHF aerial and new cable to your DVB reciever are underestimated. These aerials do not cost as much as some people may suggest, and normally, breakup is due to the aerial feed quality.

I am not aware that the picture on the old ONdigital boxes is any worse/better than the new boxes that are out, although the aerial signal processing is better (i think!?!) on the newer boxes.

Jake.

Happy New Year!

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Regardless what the freeview ad saids. Normally, you cannot just plug a box in at get it working straight away. This usually happens when you have a aerial that is years old and cannot pick up the digital signal.

I had to upgrade my aerial for just £15 from a DIY store. My aerial was't that old (three years odl) but it wasn't good enough

Also, my mum got a Philips ex ITV digital box and also had to upgrade the aerial. Her one was about 10 years old. The picture quality of the box on her TV looks exceptional and it is just a composite signal.

The wideband high gain aerials have lots of elements sticking out as well as a mesh thing on the back. These can help to increase the signal strength.

This is a similar aerial to the one I got.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=60916

6. rudelad

rudelad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly of subject what is the EPG like on the new boxes is it anything like SKY's. And I am right in saying I can't use this feature on my Pioneer Ondigi box?

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    At the moment, the EPG just shows what is on at that time and what is on next. This works for all channels.

From sometime early next year there will be a 7 day EPG. This should be like a whole weeks TV listing. Many new boxes are 7 day ready. My new Panasonic TUCT30 is ready.

However, old boxes won't get the 7 day EPG unless a upgrade is available over the air. I don't think old ex ITV digital boxes will be one of them.

How the EPG looks, depends on the box. The Pansonic looks very bland, but the Sagem 602 box is very nice. I don't know what the Sky one looks like.

8. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are having a constant signal breakup, try a setpal box (daewoo, novapal, etc), as these will help reduce breakup because of higher quality tuner, or if you want to go a bit higher up, try a netgem I-player (excellent tuner, broadband internet access, stream mp3s from pc, etc)

Rich

9. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thanks Guys - I think I will try the aerial upgrade.

Does anyone know if the old ONdigital boxes can output RGB through SCART - I can't find a menu option on it.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    My old Philips OnDigital box can.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    you might also need better cable

12. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I have got an RGB SCART cable. Would upgrading the RF lead to double shielded satellite cable make any difference without upgrading the cable from the aerial down to the wall socket?

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I would say only if it's in very poor condition,though it would be advisable.The biggest difference would be getting the next gain aerial up from the one you have now.What element aerial have you got now?