Freeview update - what's the big deal?

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So the Freeview channels will have to be updated later today to be able to continue to get Channel 5 and others.

What's the big deal? It's just a case of going into the tuning/setup menu and selecting "scan and replace existing channels".

I don't see what the problem is.

What problem?

Yes, it is because the channels are getting moved around so retuning is necesary. They are making more people access to channel 5 that they didn't have before. That's it.

The problem is that there is nothing on C5 to watch anyhow, more people are going to find this out today than knew yesterday!! :smashin:

Maybe if they re-tuned their broadcast's to "remove channel's" no one watches, they wouldn't need too waste so much time, money and effort doing this every other month!! Shuffling crap around doesn't make it anymore watchable than it was before? :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

So the Freeview channels will have to be updated later today to be able to continue to get Channel 5 and others.

What's the big deal? It's just a case of going into the tuning/setup menu and selecting "scan and replace existing channels".

I don't see what the problem is.

The 'problem' is a lot of people aren't as technically minded as you, especially some of the older generations. They can turn a TV on, change the channels, put the volume on max and use text, but ask them to re-tune their digital Channels and they'll think your talking Latin :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The 'problem' is a lot of people aren't as technically minded as you, especially some of the older generations. They can turn a TV on, change the channels, put the volume on max and use text, but ask them to re-tune their digital Channels and they'll think your talking Latin :rolleyes:

You call my pint a woman? :D

The problem for me is that my reception is so feeble, I'll probably lose a bunch of channels when I retune.
I normally have to wait for a fine, cloudless day with a good wind blowing the faint signal towards me from the transmitter in order to get the full array of channels recognised.

Last edited:
I think this also has something to do with the preparation for HD on Freeview.

Mrs Sonic doesn't know how to do it and there are six TVs/PVR recorders to retune.

The problem for me is that my reception is so feeble, I'll probably lose a bunch of channels when I retune.
I normally have to wait for a fine, cloudless day with a good wind blowing the faint signal towards me from the transmitter in order to get the full array of channels recognised.
I have terrible signal where i live and just about get most of the freeview channels (including 5) but cant watch terrestial TV as its quality is shocking

My friend was reading why they are doing the re-tune and that is due to moving channels round to increase availability and prepare for HD freeview channels

One thing we were shocked by is that its gonna brick some freeview boxes :eek:

Can't get freeview at all where we live. I don't suppose today's exercise is going to change things.

We aren't in some remote island, but in the Thames Valley. But apparently we are on the border between London and Oxford transmitters, and hence can receive neither - else they would interfere with each other.

Annoying that in this day and age we can get both London and Oxford analog transmissions, but neither in digital.

It will only improve in 2012 apparently when they switch analog off - we are the last place to do so - and they will be able to boost the output of Oxford without interering with London.

In the meantime, we have 3 sky boxes to get digital TV around the house...

Here in Pembrokeshire the last changeover is done today. There is no problem as long as you know what you are doing. I run a caravan park and I must have done over 50 default settings for them in the last couple of weeks!:rolleyes:

Mainly it's the older customers, they start to panic if they think they are going to miss Corrie or Eastenders.

Can't get freeview at all where we live. I don't suppose today's exercise is going to change things....
It might. It's a big shakeup, and some signal strengths may improve. If you can borrow a Freeview box or TV, it's probably worth a try.

== EDIT ==
Sorry, read your post again: it's a bit academic for you. Still, others may be interested.

Last edited:
Mainly it's the older customers, they start to panic if they think they are going to miss Corrie or Eastenders.

That's the reason I want to shoot myself when I reach 60 :thumbsup:

You don't have to be 60 to enjoy Rosie Webster's attributes. ;)

Indeed, but by the age of 60 I expect arthritis to have ruined my right hand ;)

There is also a very real problem.

There is a published set of tuners that won't be able to recieve C5 and worse, another set that will no longer work at all - it was published in the BBC report yesterday.

So people with these units will need to purchase replacements.

Worse, and I'm speculating here, is if the electronics for any of these units provides the built-in freeview for a TV, then the TV will no longer work as originally intended.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Also I read that it says that 460,000 people will no longer be able to receive ITV 3 or 4.

(surely that's their entire audience gone then. :))

Also I read that it says that 460,000 people will no longer be able to receive ITV 3 or 4.

(surely that's their entire audience gone then. :))

Yes I've read those reports as well. I also seem to think that they might lose a couple of the +1 channels but I might have dreamt that !

I've been trying to teach my 97 year old grandmother how to use her freeview box since they switched off the analogue signal down here just so she can watch Emmerdale. Not having much luck so far! and now i'm gonna have to retune it for her as well, cos there's no chance she can figure that out. :thumbsdow

I may just have to bite the bullet and get her a new tv with integrated freeview!!

I was going to suggest getting her one with a built in HDD as well but then I thought at that age she probably isn't out much.

I've been trying to teach my 97 year old grandmother how to use her freeview box since they switched off the analogue signal down here just so she can watch Emmerdale. Not having much luck so far! and now i'm gonna have to retune it for her as well, cos there's no chance she can figure that out.

Know what you mean. I bought my parents FreeSat from Sky a couple of years ago.

Recently, I found out they have been sat there for the last month or two with an on-screen message saying they have to visit the web to order a new viewing card. Sorted that out for them.

Then I spent an age yesterday trying to convince them that today's retune doesn't apply to them. Eventually my mum got it, but not sure my dad did.

Cheers,

Nigel

I was going to suggest getting her one with a built in HDD as well but then I thought at that age she probably isn't out much.

Nope, she doesn't leave the house much. She does have a VCR but she can't/won't use it, not that she has much need for it tbh.

But it can be hard to teach older people how to use new technology, especially when they have to use multiple remotes. Me thinks there will be lots of elderly people mighty annoyed today when they can't watch their fav soaps!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom