Freeview - unlisted channels?

Shook

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a noob in these parts, so pls bear with me.

I've got a Samsung L326R41BDX.

When I set it up (just with my existing RF cable) it auto-searched and found around 20 freeview channels, most of which have pretty good reception. Now when I look on the Freeview website, there are many channels listed which I can't recieve, but also I'm getting cahnnels (such as National Geographic, which is a touch) that are NOT listed at Freeview.co.uk.

The Samsung has duplicated some channels too (I have two BBC News 24 Channels)

I can't seem to recieve any of the radio cahnnels either.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on?

Heinz121 said:
You should be picking up signals from (but not necessarilly be able to view because some are encrypted) more than 80 TV/radio channels.

Sounds like an aerial problem to me.

You mean I'd 'see' them but not be able to view?

When I put my postcode into the Freeview checker thing it says I shouldn't be able to get anything.

And the DTV thing, how do I get digital channels?

Geofbob said:
The Freeview channels are digital.

Ok, but they only show up when my Samsung is in TV mode, not DTV mode.

If Freeview channels are digital, then what is the difference between TV and DTV on a Samsung set?

Shook said:
Ok, but they only show up when my Samsung is in TV mode, not DTV mode.

If Freeview channels are digital, then what is the difference between TV and DTV on a Samsung set?

I would have thought that the TV/DTV button on your remote, if it's like other TV's, would toggle between those stations scanned in on the TV's analogue tuner and those scanned in by the Freeview tuner (digital TV), that is assuming that you're able to receive the latter in your area.

If you'd been able to, then you should be able to see BBC's 1,2,3,4 ITV's 1,2 etc. and most, if not all of the other channels listed on the Freeview website including the various digital radio stations.

Is your aerial up to scratch. Is the signal strength meter (if any) showing a good response for the digital channels. Do you have some onscreen EPG????

HHGTTG said:
I would have thought that the TV/DTV button on your remote, if it's like other TV's, would toggle between those stations scanned in on the TV's analogue tuner and those scanned in by the Freeview tuner (digital TV), that is assuming that you're able to receive the latter in your area.

If you'd been able to, then you should be able to see BBC's 1,2,3,4 ITV's 1,2 etc. and most, if not all of the other channels listed on the Freeview website including the various digital radio stations.

Is your aerial up to scratch. Is the signal strength meter (if any) showing a good response for the digital channels. Do you have some onscreen EPG????

I get a 'no signal' message when I press the DTV button. The signal meter shows 0. The channels I can view are only available when the tv is in normal (TV) mode. The aerial is a rooftop one and seems to be picking up the 'analogue' channels fine, although i am running a long extension into another room.

Interestingly, BBC News 24, for example, has the info banner at the bottom of the screen whixh might say 'press red for .....' but pressing red does nothing.

I'll try it in the front room without the extension...

:confused:

BBC News 24 is only available on digital platforms: Freeview, $ky or Cable. If you are, in fact, seeing News 24 (and not the parallel broadcasts of News 24 on BBC1 or 2 at certain times) then you are receiving digital TV somehow.

LV426 said:
BBC News 24 is only available on digital platforms: Freeview, $ky or Cable. If you are, in fact, seeing News 24 (and not the parallel broadcasts of News 24 on BBC1 or 2 at certain times) then you are receiving digital TV somehow.

Thanks for that, but if that's the case then I'm completely baffled.

I'm happy with my 20 odd extra channels, and most of them look ok.

But why don't they show up in the DTV channel menu?

Anyone else have this situation?

thanks all.

Silly question.......but you haven't got any peripheral equipment (such as, a DVD recorder with Freeview, a Freeview STB, a $ky box, ¢able box or anything remotely capable of receiving more than Ch 1...5) connected up????

LV426 said:
Silly question.......but you haven't got any peripheral equipment (such as, a DVD recorder with Freeview, a Freeview STB, a $ky box, ¢able box or anything remotely capable of receiving more than Ch 1...5) connected up????

My TV is Freeview enabled.

It say's freeview on the box. It already has a freeview receiver inside it.

I appreciate that. I was just trying to ensure there was nothing else providing you with extra channels, given that you say the TV claims it can't receive any - yet it seems to be doing so.....

LV426 said:
I appreciate that. I was just trying to ensure there was nothing else providing you with extra channels, given that you say the TV claims it can't receive any - yet it seems to be doing so.....

Ah I see.

Nothing else connected.

Well I don't understand it, but i guess i shouldn't complain. Just wouldn't mind knowing what's going on...

thanks

OK... Take a look at this website:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/

where you will find details of trasmitters in your area, the type of aerial needed, which channels are broadcast, which channels share the same "mux" (= UHF frequency) and so on. This information may help you establish a pattern for what you can and can't receive and perhaps why. You may even be able to improve matters with a new aerial.

As for unlisted channels - you'll see from the DTG website that there are a handful of channels that aren't "Freeview".....they are part of something called TopUp TV, which is a subscription service broadcast via the same platform.

LV426 said:
OK... Take a look at this website:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/

where you will find details of trasmitters in your area, the type of aerial needed, which channels are broadcast, which channels share the same "mux" (= UHF frequency) and so on. This information may help you establish a pattern for what you can and can't receive and perhaps why. You may even be able to improve matters with a new aerial.

As for unlisted channels - you'll see from the DTG website that there are a handful of channels that aren't "Freeview".....they are part of something called TopUp TV, which is a subscription service broadcast via the same platform.

thanks.

I put in my postcode and the results were that my closest transmitters are Crystal Palace and Sandy Heath.

Almost all of the channels from Crystal palce were a 'Yes' in the list, but as soon as I press my DTV button, it says 'No Signal'.

The aerial is a properly installed rooftop one, but I can't see it.

I guess it's maybe not pointing the right way?

How frustrating.

LV426 said:

Ok a development.

I rent my flat. I've traced the aerial to the wall outlet, which is a box with a TV outlet (to which is attached the cable to my telly) an outlet called 'R' (to which nothing is attached) and then a fixed wire which runs along my wall to a telephone outlet which has 'Cable' written on it. I have never connected anything to this socket.

Is there some kind of decoding going on somewhere here? I tried my old Sony analogue CRT set with the same aerial and, sure enough, it picks up Sky News, and British Euro Sport (along with 1-5 of course), but not the other broadcasts I'm getting on my Samsung.

I certainly don't pay any subscription, and have lived here years.

FWIW, there is a sattelite dish on the front of the house which isn't connected to anything. The loose wire from it has no connector and hangs loose.

Useful clues?

Ahha!!!

I think this is behind your mystery!

It sounds like your landlord / building owner has been kind enough to provide you with some additional channelst through your aerial point (hotels do the same thing). This is why you can see non-analog-transmitted channels on your analog spectrum. They are basically received somewhere in the building (via satellite or cable) and then modulated to a UHF frequency to sit along side all the analogue channels that are transmitted. This means that your aerial point doesn't go straight to the aerial (or a splitter) it is going to this modulator first. I suspect the modulator is producing enough interference to prevent you from receiving digital tv through the aerial.

If you can't do anything else, try getting a set top aerial (anything but one for all!) you might find the digital channels you are looking for!

Boy Lex said:
Ahha!!!

I think this is behind your mystery!

It sounds like your landlord / building owner has been kind enough to provide you with some additional channelst through your aerial point (hotels do the same thing). This is why you can see non-analog-transmitted channels on your analog spectrum. They are basically received somewhere in the building (via satellite or cable) and then modulated to a UHF frequency to sit along side all the analogue channels that are transmitted. This means that your aerial point doesn't go straight to the aerial (or a splitter) it is going to this modulator first. I suspect the modulator is producing enough interference to prevent you from receiving digital tv through the aerial.

If you can't do anything else, try getting a set top aerial (anything but one for all!) you might find the digital channels you are looking for!

Excellent work, detective Boy Lex.

Right. How do I disable the modulator? Is this possible? And what might I be looking for!?

The Freeview Gods are not helping me, the only set top aerial I have is a 'one for all'. It's a rubbish one too, with no amplifier. Can u recommend one?

thanks mate

s

What could also be tha case is that your TV feed does not come from an aerial at all, but from your local cable company. NTL etc do send the analogue, but not Freeview, channels down their network. My brother had this in one of the houses he lived in and he got extra channels without paying for them, but could also subscribe to get even more. But this was about 15 years ago before Freeview or even OnDigital and in those days cable TV was analogue only and therefore he did not have a STB.

Mark.

Shook said:
How do I disable the modulator? Is this possible? And what might I be looking for!?
s

I would imagine it's somewhere in the building near the roof splitting to all the different properties in the building, so deactivating it might upset your neighbours... I'd contact the building manager and see if they can isolate your feed and route you straight to the aerial.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom