Freeview/TV aerial installation costs - shocked!

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by MAD ANDY, Aug 8, 2005.

1. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am interested in installing a TV aerial on the roof (as loft aerials for freeview are not too good apparently) as I only currently have a Sky minidish due to it being a new house. I've never paid for an aerial in the past though, so was shocked to see my neighbours receipt from Skyforce www.actionaerials.com for £470 or so, for:

DMX5 Aerial (£148 fitted with 6' mast & 6" faceplate)
    Amp & PSU with distribution to 5 rooms - £80
    Sky distribution add on - £forgot
    Cabling run to 4 rooms - £100
    Something else - £forgot
    Total inc VAT - £470

Is this a normal price? or even cheap? or expensive? I just assumed for me to get the same thing it would be half this price, wondering if I was being very naieve now and needed to wake up and smell the coffee! I can cable the rooms myself and buy the amp and connect that up, but are aerials and installation usually as much as £150?

cheers

PS the neighbour was very impressed with Skyforce install, saying they didnt oversell him what he didnt need, were very helpful and professional and did a top quality service, so a free plug there!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Who told you that, an aerial installer? I don't know if it was directed specifically at where you live and you live in a very marginal reception area but otherwise it is a load of rubbish. Check the freeview coverage checker. It normally err's on the side of caution so even if it says that you cannot receive it, you sometimes can.

-Ian

3. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When we moved into our new house (Sep 03), I had the local aerial installers change the loft-mounted aerial for an external one that could receive Freeview. Cost : around £120 if I recall correctly, which I thought was a tad pricey but there you go. After two years, not a single problem. I also swapped the normal coax cabling for Monster stuff - improved pic quality (32" CRT) no end.

4. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,346
    Just had one done at the weekend, had to have a roof aerial as oppsed to a loft one due to poor signal in this area.

I didn't have anything fancy, like multi-room or anything, but it cost me £162, which I didn't think was too bad.

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I would say that aerial mounted in the loft can cause problems moreso for digital, due to reflections ect. They can work 99% but if you want to be sure get a roof mounted.
    I have heard of people getting a roof aerial for £80, I think anywhere between £60-120 would be normal, the actual aerial itself only costs £20-30

Perhaps someone else can reply to the multi room, does sound dear.

Nigel

6. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Good quality DIGITAL aerials are more the £20-£30, For example the DAT45 CAI approved antenna is about £50.00 and thats not the top of the range!

Then add about £15.00 for the bracket and another £10 ish for the pole. Then double it for the risk / skill / time / tools needed to get up on the roof to mount the bloody things it starts to look acceptable.

External aerials are alway recommended as the interferance from inside the house can cause as many problems as a poor signal. The roof gives some protection.

7. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    I said £60-120, but if you lived a poor signal area the following is ok :-

""DAT45 CAI approved antenna is about £50.00 and thats not the top of the range!
    Then add about £15.00 for the bracket and another £10 ish for the pole. Then double it for the risk / skill / time / tools needed to get up on the roof to mount the bloody things it starts to look acceptable. ""

If you are the type of person to pay £20+ per scart lead then I would imagine £150 for an aerial is nothing.

8. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No just from what I've read here, as said below, an internal aerial is not only subject to interference inside the house (including thermostats apparently) but has to battle with the roof for reception, compared to an external aerial which wont be subject to internal interference as it will use the roof in the opposite way, but is best located for the signal.... apparently anyway lol

interesting.... did you somehow get the wiring to the existing socket? or install a new one routing the new wiring on the inside or outside of the house (rather than behind the walls)

I thought I had read that there was no such thing as a "digital" aerial, as all aerials will receive the signal, just the box connected at the end of it will need to decode it? I've seen this one mentioned several times in the forums as an excellent aerial for receiving digital signals on, and its only £27.99

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=26

9. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    As you already have a mini-dish, how about just purchasing the freeview card from Sky?

10. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    they cost about£20 and will do all bbc and itv channels

11. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep your right, "DIGITAL" is used as a marketing term, generally associated with high gain aerials.

Yeah the Triax Unix 52 is a good high gain aerial, so is the Blake DMX10 (better build quality then the Unix).

Very good aerial.

12. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Even better than paying the £20 for the FreeSat card is simply cancelling Sky, as the existing card reverts to the FreeSat card :) but it doesnt come with E4 which is a channel we watch regularly, and unlike a freeview box where virtually all the channels displayed in the menu will be accessible, unlike FreeSat which will display every Sky channel available (in a hope that you will be enticed back when pressing only to find 'Sorry you need to subscribe to that channel' grrrrr!) which will become tedious very quickly...

13. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ah, that makes sense then, though high gain was associated with houses like mine which are a long distance away from the mast ie 42Km's in my case.

My neighbour has the DMX5 and was offered the DMX10 for £181 fitted with the mast.

14. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An extra £33 for the DMX10? Thats a bit cheeky.

15. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your neighbour had a lot more than a 'freeview' ariel put in! In my experience you only need to have an extra ariel if your signal is very poor

16. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    really? why? should it only be a few quid more or something?

sorry not sure if I gave the impression he has an 'extra' aerial as he only has one aerial (the DMX5) but before buying he was told either the DMX5 or DMX10 would do the job but the 10 probably wouldnt be needed, and other than receiving a dodgy channel5 pic the PQ seems pretty good.

17. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I was just quoted £199 for a CAI verified Aerial Installer to install a Triax Aerial at my house, which is to be connected to two points in the home, don't know what model aerial, I imagine a Unix 52, is this worth it, seems quite a lot...

19. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did he give you a break down of the cost? Was an amplifier included?

20. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just for reference, I had two external aerials installed, & although neither 'digital', or involved difficult cableing, cost £60. - The cables were in one case joined in my loft (to connect to an existing wall plate), the other, droped from the loft through the ceiling to my pc upstairs. I can't receive freeview. No amount of fiddleing improved my old (loft) picture. A different (loft) aerial for a bedroom Tv was similarly disapointing. They have been one of my best purchases, They may be cheap aerials, but the improvement over the older, 'better quality' loft mounted aerial, marked.

21. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    We are restricted to loft aerials by a covenant. The house it rented and when we moved in there was a cheap aerial and 'booster' in the loft which produced an appalling picture on a 32" LCD.

I tried upgrading to a proper amplifier/distribution unit from B & Q but this only made the picture worse.

We then got professionals in and they replaced the aerial and fitted a proper amplifier but used the B & Q distribution unit - cost £400ish!!