1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview to plasma

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bowler, Jun 30, 2004.

1. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wish to connect a freeview box to an Hitachi 5200 plasma.

Will the following work and which would give the best picture?

Scart on box to vga on plasma.

Scart on box to component on plasma. (I believe the Netgem box can do this)

Are leads readily available?

Thank you.

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I bought a lead from Hifibitz which goes from the scart output on the freeview box to the av2 socket on the 5200. The av2 is switchable between rgb and component so set it to rgb to match the freeview output.
    If you get the netgem I you could go scart to the component input, but remember that you'll also need the sound as well if you are just using your tv speakers.

3. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will a video / PAL output signal via a scart to component connection yield better results than a video / PAL output signal via scart to scart???

Only to stimulate the debate.

I don't pretend to understand the full impact but see the informative quote below from Dick Koers on the ecoustics forum:

JJ

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:57 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I’m afraid it's not a matter of cabling.

Component is officially a general term for YUV, YC and RGB, where RGB in turn has a whole lot of sync options like RGsB, RGBS, RGBHV. In other words; component is the opposite of composite.

In daily life however, component usually means YUV (=YCbCr). YC is commonly being referred to as S-Video.

A Scart (Euro-AV) usually (always except on Loewe?) only carries RGB and/or YC. YC is nice, but RGB is a lot better. This Scart-RGB can be either RGsB (sync on green) or (more commonly) RGBS (sync on composite).
    There is no way of connecting a RGB player to a YUV television without electronics. You will need a converter, you can find one here:
    http://www.highway.net.au/parts/converters/2005.html

Even if you want to connect to another RGB device like a PC VGA monitor or beamer using the 15 pin sub-D, you usually need a converter since VGA uses RGBHV with separate TTL-level Hsync and Vsync. In most cases a Syncblaster cable (http://www.syncblaster.com) will do that trick.

Good luck!

Dick.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/5/7164.html

4. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone comment on the picture quality when using a Syncblaster cable to connect an STB or DVD player to a plasma TV VGA socket?

5. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Netgem and use my receiver to switch between it and my other component source (DVD). Works very well. I have not compared with direct Scart connection to my Panasonic Series 6 which has both Scart and Component boards installed.

6. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like this thread has gone cold. Has anyone got any feedback on this issue or is this theme being chased elsewhere on the forum?

JJ :(