Freeview to Plasma Help

ittim

Established Member
Reaction score
Appologies if this is in the wrong place, it kinda fits most of the boards on here!!

Anyway to the point, I have a freeview box with a scart scoket. Its a cheap Echo star job.

I need to get it connected to a 42" panasonic plasma screen.

My problem is i only have the following connections on the screen.

S-Video, BNC, DVI and VGA.

Can anyone offer a cable solution that would enable me to get a good picture from the freeview box?

Any help appreciated.

Tim

Does your FV STB have S-Video output (many don't!). If it does then this may give the best PQ without an expensive video converter. Otherwise the low quality composite video signal will be easiest, but it is low quality (the plasma must have composite video input even though you didn't mention it).
You mention BNC - this is a connection type not a video signal. What are the possible video signals that the BNC connections can accept? Component, RGB (one or more versions) etc would be my guess. If they do accept RGBcvS then you can connect a scart to 4 BNC plugs lead from FV STB to plasma. RGBcvS is the best signal a FV STB can output, so with no converters needed it should give the best PQ.
When I first got my plasma I used one of These converters to connect my FV STB and the PQ was excellent. But it is an expensive method, especially if you have other options.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Cheers for the reply, there isn't a composite connection (believe it or not!!) I tried S-Video using a converter from the Scart and the image looked terrible. It didnt fit the screen size correctly.

Yes i think the BNC connections are RGB (so i guess that gives me the same as component correct?) with that in mind is it likely that i'll find a cable to convert with?

The converter would certainly solve the issue, only not sure my boss will allow me to spend £99

Yes i think the BNC connections are RGB (so i guess that gives me the same as component correct?) with that in mind is it likely that i'll find a cable to convert with?
RGB & Component are different things!
RGB comes in 3 different flavours:
RGsB - RGB with sync on Green (3 connections). Not common outside of USA
RGBcvS - RGB with composite video sync (4 connections). This is the RGB from scart equipment.
RGBHV - RGB with separate Horizontal & Vericle sync (5 connections). This is the RGB signal in VGA, ie PC to monitor and is the only version capable of progressive scan.

YUV Component is a different signal type all together and is on 3 connections/cables. This is also capable of progressive scan.

To see what signals the plsma can accept RTFM or go into the setup menu and see what each input can be set to. Some plasmas can also accept RGBcvS via the VGA input. If any of the inputs can accept RGBcvS then you only need to find a scart to VGA or BNC (x4) cable with no hardware conversion needed. Be careful with the scart lead though as they are directional and if you get the wrong direction on the cable you wont get a picture on the plasma.

Mark.

As it is not obvious for the above, comprehensive, post, I'll point out that only RGsB and YUV have 3 BNC connectors. All the other RGB variants need 4 as the sync is separate. So if you only have 3 bnc it is likely this is YUV. The topfield 5800 has YUV output.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, the board on the screen is this one
356466.jpg

However i deciced the best option was to spend a little bit more on a USB Freeview (gives me access accross a company network then) and hey presto it seems fine.

Thanks again!

The 5 BNC connections on the right of the board will be for RGBHV, but I would guess they can also be set to any of the 3 types of RGB I mentioned above as well as YUV Component.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom