• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview to have 20 Hi Def Channel Slots Available from September

hodg100

Distinguished Member
EPG Reshuffle due on 19th

Freeview platform manager DMOL has finalised plans for an EPG reorganisation which will see a dedicated slot at channel 8 for local TV services and 20 HD spaces opened up. The changes, managed by DDT Multiplex Operators (DMOL), are due to take place on 19 September following an industry-wide consultation which kicked off in March.

They are designed to improve Freeview EPG navigation and create extra spaces for new channels over the next three to four years.

There will be space for 100 general entertainment channels with the forthcoming public service local TV channels at channel 8 for England and Northern Ireland and 45 for Wales and Scotland.

HD services will be allocated 20 slots from channel 101, doubling the 10 spaces which are currently available from 50-59. There will also be a dedicated section for the development of IPTV channels.

attachment.php

Although some broadcaster's channel numbers will change, genres will retain their relative positions to each other.

Some Freeview TVs and set-top boxes will automatically update with the new EPG with viewers also directed to retune their equipment via on-screen messages from 19 September.

VIA Broadcast Now

Attachments

• freeview_hd.jpg
    freeview_hd.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 619

Steven

Senior Moderator
Excellent, more 1080i channels is at least some progress ;)

gagaga

Nope not more HD channels, just space in the channel list for numbers. Might be lucky and get some in London / other big cities, but who knows.

The Style

Standard Member
Erm, some of Freeview HD is actually in 1080p. Yes 1080p, the BBC found a way of doing it even if most peoples gear needed firmware updates to run it properly.

I think this is brilliant news as lets face it, the original standard def picture was always prone to macro blocking on CRT TV's and I've yet to see a HDTV that can upscale and de-interlace it properly without making it look even worse. Don't defend the HD TV manufacturers on this please, they've stunk at this for years, its just to keep the costs down and its also a cynical way to make you think HD's better than it actually is.

Personally I am getting fed up with only having 4 watchable channels on Freeview. 20 is much, much, more like it. Film 4 HD anyone?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom