Freeview to DVD/HDD recorder. Qlink - Smartlink?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Awooga, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Awooga

Awooga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Peeps,

I have a Panasonic DMREH50 DVD/HDD recorder which has QLink and I have recently brought a the Sony freeview box - VTX-D800U. This in turn has Smartlink.

Now both manuals say that they are complatible with each other. I was planning on getting the freeview box to talk to the DVD recorder in terms of recording. I hear that you can tell the freeview box to record somthing and then this would in turn process it to the DVD recorder and it would all run together.

How ever I have currently lost my Panasonic manual, I am in the process of downloading another one and soon to be on print.

Has anyone got this set up, or this freeview box?

My TV (Philips 24" widescreen) doesn't have QLink or the likes, but is this nessary?

Any help on this or anyone who is recording from their freeview to a DVD/HDD recorder would be much help :) Cheers.

David

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This may or may not be relevant. The Sony Freeview box will only send s-video from its VCR-out to compatible Smartlink recorders. If the connected recorder is judged incompatible by the Sony STB, the STB will switch to composite and you cannot do anything about it.

Unfortunately "compatible Smartlink" does not mean any Smartlink compatible recorder. It means those which are compatible with the particular version of Smartlink on the Sony STB. Some Sony recorders with Smartlink don't work with the STB in s-video, so it's not a manufacturer problem.

The way you make the link work is to set the timer on the STB, turn it to standby, then set the Panasonic External Link 'On'.

If you turn on the STB manually when the recoder is in Ext Link, it will immediately start to record because the STB starts sending a signal from the VCR-out.

I have a Pioneer 420 with AutoStart (=External Link), but I gave up trying to use it because of the need for the STB to be Off when the recorder is awaiting AutoStart. I now use both timers. With 7-day EPG on the STB and VideoPlus for the 420, it's not too bad. The most annoying thing is having to manually extend both timers' Start and Finsh times to deal with poor program punctuality.

3. Awooga

Awooga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, i'll try this :)