Freeview to A/V Reciver :: JS Tech RGB to YUV Coverter or Scart to Component Cable?

flexiondotorg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am just trying to figure out how to connect up all my equipment for a forth coming purchase. Everything is being replaced except my Freview tuner (Pace Twin), which has SCART outputs, phono and optical outputs for audio. The A/V reciver (Denon 2805) can take component inputs with component output going to the plasma.

I have seen that the JS Technology RGB to Component (YUV) Video Converters are highly recommended, but why would I want one of these and not just a SCART to Component cable? With £100 price difference I would like to understand the benefits.

http://www.js-technology.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=36
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV372.html

Thanks in advance.

You need the converter because the Twin does not output a component signal. The only freeview STB that does output a component signal is the Netgem iPlayer, so you could use the scart to component lead with this box, but not yours.
The twin will only output via its scart socket a composite or RGBs signal. The JS-Tech converter will convert the RGBs to YUV that the receiver can then accept and output to your plasma. Very few (I only know of the Arcam receivers) can accept an RGBs signal for switching, but then they wont convert that to YUV.

Mark.

Thanks for the advice and explainations, as useful as always when I post in these forums. I feel like a bit of a numpty now because Marks answer seemed so obvious when I read it.

I might consider the S-Video option as a cheap interim solution and get the JS RGB -> YUV converter at a later date. It will help keep my initial purchase costs down.

Should I be concerned? I have yet to purchase the AV and the 2805 is now top of the list. I also have yet to purchase a freeview STB. I don't want to be spending £145 on one of those converter thingies... I'd rather pump that cash into a better AV! Is my understanding correct in that you can simply take S-Vid from the STB to the AV? Or are there STB's available with component or even digital out?

Its not as simple as that I'm afraid.
Only a few STBs have an S-Video output and AFAIK only one has YUV Component - the Netgem iPlayer. I am not aware of any STBs that have a digital video output, but many do now offer an optical audio output.
Many of the modern AV receivers will now upconvert a signal from composite > S-Video > Component so you can use the receiver to switch video sources and still have a single component cable to the screen if required. Not all AV receivers do this so you will need to check the specs of the ones you are looking at if this is required.

Mark.

Thanks. I'm currently looking at the Denon 2805 which does up conversion to Component. So I suppose I will be limited to STB's with an S-Vid output...e.g. the SonyVTXD800 (can't seem to find many others)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom