Freeview through sky - a con?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Boy Lex, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay so I just had three conversations with three different people about activating an old sky card with an old sky box to give me freeview channels. I've got sky plus, just thought it'd be nice to get freeview in another room.

1 - phoned sky on the 404040 number. Was told that they can't activate it, that I can only get freeview from sky by buying new kit at a cost of £150.

2 - phoned sky upgrade hotline on 404020 number. Was told that they can't activate it, but I can get a new card for £20 from freesat.

3 - phoned freesat. Was told they can't activate it, but they can send me a card for £20. The card is guaranteed for 3 years.

I suspected this might be the case. Has anyone else managed to get an old card working in an old box?

Also, what's with the 3 year guarantee? Does that mean they can switch you off in 3 years and charge you another £20 for a new card? That seems like a bum deal to me, specially as the FTA channels have to pay a lot of money to get on the satellites.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    First is it a dark blue card with a yellow house? If so leave it in the receiver for 24 to 48 hours it might wake up, but it’s not guaranteed.

The card is for FTV channels not FTA. And yes in three years time or less they might reissue cards free to subscribers and at the same time charge Freesat viewers.

4. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Dont know if im going to sound a TW@T here but i dont nead a card in my sky box's to get all the free stuff. What chanels are you guy's looking @ .

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    ITV1 (and currently ITV2), Ch4 and Five are all encrypted on Dsat using Videoguard.
    To access them you need a smartcard, either an ex-subscription (second generation) card or a dedicated FTV card supplied in small numbers by the BBC, bought for £23.50 (limited time offer) or now offered direct from SKY for £20.

There can be much confusion in regards to the FTA/FTV labelling of satellite channels:)

6. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The FTA ones BBC, Motors TV etc and the FTV including ITV1, CH4 and Five.

What are you looking at?
    :)

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    According to my credit card statement (£23.50, Freetoview.tv), Ch4 was the actual supplier. The BBC subsidised the actual free cards issued prior to January last year.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Sorry, thought I had made it clear there had been three methods of aquiring a valid card:)

9. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can get the unencrypted, so I guess it's really only ITV1,2 C4 and C5 I want. The card came out of another box, so I guess that's why it's not activating them through my box. Can't think why they're encrypted?

10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You did. But you got the supplier wrong for one. :)

11. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    So they can't be viewed outside their territorial boundaries. But as we all know that is not working.

12. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I getcha, but why does the Beeb not care? Nearly everyone in Ireland gets the Beeb and doesn't contribute by paying the licence fee.

13. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I think you will find the BBC do care, but it was licence payers money that was being passed to Sky in large bucketfuls for encryption. While I agree people in Ireland are now getting the BBC for free via satellite, they have been getting BBC, ITV and CH4 via cable for years for a small charge. Now all we want is to redress the situation and get RTE, TV3 over here for free.

14. andyMallion

andyMallion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Best example as to why they are encrypted I can think of is F1 on ITV, they only have broadcasting rights from bernie ecclestone for the UK, so the signal has to be encrypted to prevent viewing elsewhere in europe

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

See what you mean.
    I wasn't implying the BBC supplied the £23.50 card, I should have used an "or" inplace of the comma:)

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As indicated...

UK broadcasters get US imports cheaper if they agree to limit the broadcast footprint to the UK only via the use of encryption.
    The distributers use the argument that by selling FTA programming to a UK broadcaster for use on Dsat means that they have to charge less for the same movies/programs when selling to other European broadcasters.
    The BBC import far less than anyother UK broadcaster and so have less issues with this point of view and have since then done deals to purchase the FTA Dsat broadcasting rights for US movies.
    No doubt this entailed a premium on the price they would have paid before if they had retained the encryption but we the license fee payers will never know the exact figures:)

ITV have recently finished a long drawn out negotiation with US movie distributers and have secured the right to broadcast FTA on Dsat if they wish.
    If the total cost of broadcasting FTA is less then FTV then broadcasters will take that option purely for commercial reasons, the BBC's decision was based on principle.
    Ch4 and Five are both much smaller broadcasters and import more programming than ITV and BBC so getting FTA rights will cost more and at the same time the costs of FTV is much lower for them.

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Or the SPL coverage last season.
    BBC Scotland bought the rights to broadcast via cable and terrestrial but did not aquire the rights to Dsat due to that platform covering aprts of the UK that were being offered SPL via PPV from another provider.

ITV extended their F1 contract last year, I would be very surprised if it didn't allow FTA Dsat broadcasting in some form.