Quantcast

Freeview/Thomson DTI 1000: sound blocked

Pimlico

Standard Member
The problem that I've got with the remote that comes with the Thomson DTI 1000, is getting its 'sound volume' function to have any effect on the TV set.

When I press the 'sound volume' panel on the Freeview remote, the red lights on the Freeview box and on the TV respond but not to affect the sound. In fact, there is no sound on any digital channels.

I can watch and listen to the five UK terrestrial channels by using the TV remote. While the TV is in digital, I can press 'sound volume' on the TV remote and the yellow horizontal strip appears and is seen to move on screen, yet no sound is heard.

Has anyone else here had similar problems? Does anyone here know of a possible solution to these problems? I'd be interested to know.

ps Until a couple of days ago I could get sound on digital TV channels by using the TV remote, but something has got locked or some button has been pressed by me which now prevents sound on digital TV to be heard.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Pimlico said:
The problem that I've got with the remote that comes with the Thomson DTI 1000, is getting its 'sound volume' function to have any effect on the TV set.

When I press the 'sound volume' panel on the Freeview remote, the red lights on the Freeview box and on the TV respond but not to affect the sound. In fact, there is no sound on any digital channels.

I can watch and listen to the five UK terrestrial channels by using the TV remote. While the TV is in digital, I can press 'sound volume' on the TV remote and the yellow horizontal strip appears and is seen to move on screen, yet no sound is heard.

Has anyone else here had similar problems? Does anyone here know of a possible solution to these problems? I'd be interested to know.

ps Until a couple of days ago I could get sound on digital TV channels by using the TV remote, but something has got locked or some button has been pressed by me which now prevents sound on digital TV to be heard.
Unplug the digibox, plug it back in and try a channel rescan if plugging it back in doesn't fix it.

Pimlico

Standard Member
That could work, JayCee, though it does remind me of banging the telly when it started acting up. Is that really the general state of things with this first generation of Freeview/digital boxes? They should work, they do work mostly, but don't work all the time for reasons we're not too clear about?

You also say that after unplugging the digibox and then reconnecting, it may be necessary to try a channel rescan. Would that rescan on the Thomson DTI 1000 be via Menu > Auto Set Up > Replace existing services command? I can't see any other option on the menu that might enable a rescan.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Pimlico said:
Would that rescan on the Thomson DTI 1000 be via Menu > Auto Set Up > Replace existing services command? I can't see any other option on the menu that might enable a rescan.
Yes, that's the one :smashin:

Pimlico

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, reinforced by advice from Thomson helpline worker who said that 99% of such sound problems are to do with SCART connections and the like not being fully connected. So I looked again at all the connections between digibox and TV set and discovered that the SCART lead on the back of the TV while 'in' was not as 'in' as it could have been. Problem solved!

Top Bottom