Freeview STB or Aerial Problem

sofaturnip

Standard Member
I use a Daewoo DS700 Freeview STB. The BBC channels are OK but ITV and Chan 4 etc break up on sound and picture every so often. I had a new roof aerial which is supposed to be correct for digital in my area.

The Daewoo's status indicator varies between 4 and 8 on ITV chans, but stays on 10 on BBC.

I'm in Hertfordshire with aerial pointing to Crystal Palace. The aerial man says if he swings the aerial around towards Hemel Hempstead then I won't get analogue and digital won't improve.

He says people in my area sometimes find changing to a Panasonic STB gives better results, failing that he'll try putting aerial on a 10 ft pole instead of the present 6 ft.

Would I be wasting money by trying the Panasonic STB (I assume he means the TUCT 41) and/or raising the aerial? I'd be grateful for any advice.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
sofaturnip said:
I use a Daewoo DS700 Freeview STB. The BBC channels are OK but ITV and Chan 4 etc break up on sound and picture every so often. I had a new roof aerial which is supposed to be correct for digital in my area.

The Daewoo's status indicator varies between 4 and 8 on ITV chans, but stays on 10 on BBC.

I'm in Hertfordshire with aerial pointing to Crystal Palace. The aerial man says if he swings the aerial around towards Hemel Hempstead then I won't get analogue and digital won't improve.

He says people in my area sometimes find changing to a Panasonic STB gives better results, failing that he'll try putting aerial on a 10 ft pole instead of the present 6 ft.

Would I be wasting money by trying the Panasonic STB (I assume he means the TUCT 41) and/or raising the aerial? I'd be grateful for any advice.

I'd be inclined to go with raising the aerial and forget about the Panasonic STB. Possibly even get him to fit a masthead amp as well.
It does sound like a poor signal and you'd be amazed at the difference raising an aerial a few feet can make.
The earlier Daewoo DS608P "Setpal" Freeview STBs were good in poor signal areas...they were known for their tuner sensitivity but I don't know if your particular Daewoo is a "Setpal".

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Second the masthead amplifier idea. I am surprised that your aerial installer didn't also consider this option.

sofaturnip

Standard Member
Thanks to you both for the feedback. I'll ask my aerial guy about the masthead amp. I don't think the Daewoo STB is a"Setpal" – the paperwork etc just says it's a DS608P.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
sofaturnip said:
I don't think the Daewoo STB is a"Setpal" – the paperwork etc just says it's a DS608P.

It is...that's the model no of the Setpal and it has one of the most sensitive tuners on the Freeview box market...you won't do any better with the Panasonic so just go with the aerial upgrade.:smashin:

sofaturnip

Standard Member
I've remembered that the aerial guy said (when first fitting the new aerial) that a masthead amplifier wouldn't be a good idea because there's an amplifier and four-way splitter in the loft. Think he said I'd be amplifying too much noise with a second amp. Sounds like increasing the height is going to be the best option.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom