1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Sound

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by hoyin, Dec 3, 2004.

1. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my Netgem iPlayer (BT branded) box.

In and working fine. The picture quality is very good.

However I notice that when I swap from analogue to the digital freeview signal my Sony TV indicates on screen that stereo is lost.

The sound is a lot quieter than with an normal tv signal. In freeview it seems to be unstable, sometimes reverting to stereo, but then changes to mono.

However the picture is fine. I thought if you receive a picture then everything else should be fine, there should be no variation in quality. Either you receive or you do not receive?

Could there be something wrong with the box? I notice that the scart socket is fairly flimsy and allows for quite a bit of movement.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Normally the Stereo indicator on a TV simply indicates that Nicam broadcast is being received - this was the case on my old Sony. When you use a SCART cable, it is irrelevant whether Nicam is being received, so the Stereo indicator will go off.

A volume difference between analogue and digital can be normal. You are likely to find that the Netgem also has its own volume control. It may be that this can be raised to equalise the difference.

I am however confused by your your sound will be unstable. I would expect the TV to never indicate the Stereo indicator when using the SCART.

-Ian

3. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

When watching freeview sometimes the stereo indicator comes on. Then turns off again.

As for the volume .. I have the volume turned up to max on the Netgem, however there is still a significant drop in volume compared to normal analogue tv.

But anyway at least I know nothing is faulty!