Freeview sound and picture out of sync

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Kirkyboy, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Kirkyboy

Kirkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Freeview box from Aldi. OK I know it's a cheap unit but I'm new to this and only wanted one for occasional use. Didn't want to splash out a packet when the rest of my system is not exactly the latest technology.

The problem I get is that after watching for maybe 15 minutes the picture is lagging behind the sound by about half to one second. Is this a problem with my box, the Aldi unit in general or does it come from Freeview?

Also quite a few of the channels which it found do not seem to be available. The programme guide shows details of what's on now and next but when I select the channel I get a blank screen. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

Chris K

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like you could have aerial problems. If you have a weak or bad quality signal, the box has to work hard to do error-correction, and can end up out of sync. It could also explain your other problem. What is your analogue reception like ?

3. Kirkyboy

Kirkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Analogue reception is fine, never had any real problems.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    My old OnDigital box used to go out of sync all the time, which is why I replaced it. I think it is caused by a mix of poor signal and poor electronics in the STB. Some channels can however have slight sync errors, that when viewed on a STB that has other errors can make it look very bad.

I would think that the channels you are seeing listed, but am unable to tune into are those on TopUpTV that can only be viewed on a few Freeview boxes that have a CAM slot to decode these subscription channels.

Mark.