1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Signal

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by rhawk, May 7, 2005.

1. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any information on "When and If" Freeview will be increasing their signal strength (Divis Transmitter, Belfast). If it's not happening soon, I probably will plump for Sky's Freesat , although I would prefer Freeview. Thanks :)

2. kersters

kersters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have problems receiving freeview programs from the Divis transmitter. I first thought it was due to my aerial. I had it replaced last week with the best aerial money can buy (or so I am told). However, I still can't get channel 33, that's all itv, utv and channel 4 programmes. Everything else is ok. The aerial engineer has measured the signal and it seems that channel 33 is down in comparison to the others (45 vs approx. 60 for all other channels).
    They have also promised me to chase this up with ofcom/bbc.

What is your exact problem? Where are you located? I'm close to Crumlin.
    Kersters

3. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello kersters. I'm having the same problem as you are, in that ITV and Channel 4 are unwatchable. I live close to Larne. It's frustrating, as the Government want us all to move over to digital for the big analogue switch off, but at the moment for tens of thousands of people, Sky is the only option. Surely increasing the Freeview signal strength should be a priority. It doesn't seem much better than when On Digital had it. It will be interesting to see what Ofcom say. Cheers. :)

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ITB and C4 use a less robust signal 64QAM rather than 16QAM - this is equivalent to 1/4 power of BBC and FV muxes.

My advice is improve the aerial

5. kersters

kersters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had my aerial changed. It was done by a company who I believe know what they are doing (CAI accredited), and according to them I already have the best aerial available....
    It seems the problem lies with the transmitter, so that no matter how close you are to it, the signal strength of channel 33 (itv, channel 4) is insufficient.
    Knowing that there is at least three of us, I think we should contact Ofcom. Individually is probably best, just so that we make a lot of noise about the problem.
    Anyone else that has problems with the Divis transmitter?

Kersters

6. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Martin. Do you know if Freeview reception is a big problem on mainland UK too, or is it only in certain areas. And do ITV/CH4 have any plans to improve their signal in the near future ? Thanks.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When there is a problem it is the ITV and SDN muxes which have them, this happen occasionally but I live quite high up with a clear view north for the aerial.

My main problem is that Emley Moor analogue can wipe out some DTTV from Sutton Coldfield due to using the same frequencies.

ITV and SDN are the worse effected