Freeview signal strength

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Mackster, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have just got a Nokia MM freeview box. Am interested in what my signal strength is on some channels. However, when I go to the signal strength checker I am only able to enter channels 21 to 69 ? How do I know what channel 1, 2 or 3 etc is on UHF to check the signal ?

Mac

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    You can choose your area from the list here to get a list of the channels for each MUX.

3. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary B, but am still a little in the dark as to how these things work.

Have tried channel 22 which is the strongest signal on the checker. However it shows in the table as Crystal Palace ITV/Ch4 Mux 2. What does this mean ? I live 1 mile from the Blubell hill Station but get no signal from any of these Mux's ?

Any one thats got an idiots guide to what Mux and UHF does and how they work would be usefull.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The Digital Terrestrial Service consists of 6 Multiplexes (basically a single channel transmission), each capable of carrying several different TV channels. These multiplexes are called 1, 2, A, B, C & D.

The BBC has two multiplexes. ITV & CH4 share another multiplex. Channel 5 & S4C (Welsh Channel 4) have reserved capacity on multiplex A. Crown Castle have the remaining 2 muxes.

Take a look here and click on the "Multiplexes" button for a full list of what is on each one. You may want to look at the forums over at Digital Spy . They have a dedicated Digital Terrestrial forum which is excellent.