1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrwhippyrulez, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mrwhippyrulez

mrwhippyrulez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just installed a Sweetspot MCE freeview tuner card (Black Gold clone), and am having trouble receiving ITV1/ITV2/C4 amongst a few others. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any way to check what sort of signal strength I am getting, or has any useful tips and tricks to get them to work.

No software at all was supplied with the card (not even a driver!).

TIA.

2. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't have any info on checking signal strength, but I do know that digital TV signals are transmitted at lower levels than analogue.
    Your aerial needs to be in good nick, and spot on with the direction.

Is the Sweetspot card the first time you have tried to receive digital TV?

If you bought the card from pluggedin.tv, you should have received an email with instructions on how to download the driver.
    "Please use the following url http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/support/downloads/WHQL5.17.zip to download the WHQL approved drivers for your SweetSpot MCE digital terrestrial card (which is 100% compatible with the GDI Black Gold range of cards) The drivers are designed to operate with Windows MCE 2004/2005 (single and dual configuration). 1] Unzip the Black Gold Signature Drivers file and save to a folder on your system. 2] Select the GDI Driver Installer icon; this will install the BDA drivers. 3] Shut down the PC system and install the SweetSpot MCE card. The drivers will load automatically when the system is restarted."

3. mrwhippyrulez

mrwhippyrulez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Grumble.

I hadn't noticed the link to the driver in the order acknowledgement email :rolleyes:

Though the driver installed fine from Windows update anyway, appears to be the same version.

The problem is purely down to the strength of the signal in my area, I knew it was chancing it before I purchased, as my postcode comes up as not covered in freeview.co.uk. Though I know people in the immediate vicinty who have it via set top boxes, and only suffer the v.occasional hiccup. My aerial was recently fixed, (got blown off in a storm), and additional outlet stuck in 2 bedrooms.

With a little poking and prodding in the loft last night I managed to get a picture on ITV1 and C4, though it was subjust to freezing and drop outs. Noticed the aerial bloke has not done a very good job of splitting one cable from aerial into 2 feeds for the 2 rooms. So guess this weekend I will look at getting relevant connectors and see about sticking a signal amplifier up the loft rather than using one plugged into the wall socket, like I am at moment.

Grateful for any recommendations on decent loft amps/boosters and where to get them. Then got to work out how to get power up there to drive the thing I guess..

L8r

4. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You will probably get a useable signal for a set top box, or say a USB TV box for your PC. But a PCI card won't work for the channels you list. With a weak signal the noise inside the PC will crucify the reception of those channels. Most others may well be OK.

I suffer the same in my area.