Question Freeview signal quality fluctuations

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by PDM100, Apr 20, 2016.

1. PDM100

PDM100
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview signal quality fluctuations
    About three months ago my Panasonic TV screen went blank and the message "no signal"came up, after a second the picture returned to normal, since then it has been gradually happening more frequently until a couple of days ago when the picture started breaking up and the "bad signal" message came up and became unwatchable. This was the same on all channels except the HD ones which were unaffected. I also have a Panasonic DVD HD Recorder which is totally unaffected on any channel including HD so I watched through that. When the TV was playing up I checked the signal quality/strength using the inbuilt meter, the signal strength was a constant 10 but the quality, when not fluctuating, was 0-3, I tried the same on the DVD Recorder which showed a steady 10 for both!
    I then connected the aerial direct to the TV to take the recorder out of the equation and nothing changed, no picture, bad signal etc. This was the same for two days and I was convinced the TV tuner had gone kaput and started looking at new TVs, however today i turned it on and all is now ok perfect picture on all channels and signal/quality back to 10!! Can anyone shed any light on why this should have happened and will it start again??
    ps forgot to say we're on the Mendip transmitter and have a professionally installed aerial on the roof.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Try a signal attenuator. You may have too strong a signal.

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Could be transmitter works, and your TV doesn't have a very sensitive tuner. Could be an intermittent fault, or an issue with HDMI cable interference, or as mentioned, too much signal.

Clem

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Question to moderators. What about a registry of decent tradespeople that we've used to do a/v related work? I realise that this has some risks, but using the above example I could recommend a really good TV/satellite installation guy, and having somewhere to check out local recommendations sounds like a good idea to me.

Clem

5. cliffbrown

cliffbrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all hope you don't mind me jumping in, I have a similar problem I am looking an answer to, although mine relates to a tv in a caravan, we too can have a strong signal then the picture goes, I have tried 3 different aerials, I am now convinced it is the tuner as the tv is fairly old, I was tring to google without success, to see if new tvs had a different type or updated tuner, any help would be great ta

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Just means the TV has a sensitive tuner (great in weak signal areas and easily fixed in strong areas).

Fit one of these and adjust for highest quality.

Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Best aerial for a caravan is one of the log periodic designs.

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV