Freeview signal probs

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by doorknob, Apr 18, 2004.

1. doorknob

doorknob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if I could fit some kind of booster to help improve my Freeview signal. I have an wideband aerial fitted but I am situated in a poor reception area and the picture will often freeze. To make things even more complicated I have split the coax to two other Freeview boxes. Signals weren't too bad at the outset but recently they have got worse.
    Thanks.

2. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How did you split the cable? If it's been done cheaply then you have reduced the signal to each freeview box.

Feed the aerial cable directly into a multi point booster then send the outputs to the various freeview boxes.

Note; Boosters can increase electrical noise though resulting in break up. Use double sheilded satellite grade cable to minimise unwanted electrical noise.

3. doorknob

doorknob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you recommend a multi point booster pls.

4. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the one from argos, 4 way, bought it for £20, its still in the catalouge, would sell to you for £10 inc p&p.

5. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    B@Q sell everything you need which includes booster, double shielded cable and coaxial plugs. Remember when wiring the plugs to check that no loose strands of the outer mesh braiding touch the centre wire, as a simple thing like this can ruin the digital reception. :blush:

6. tiddlerav

tiddlerav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Also worth considering - I bought all new good quality interconnects and all my bad signal problems have completely dissapeared with regards to Freeview.

8. Meza

Meza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a Panasonic freeview box. I have set it up to auto tune and it never comes back with more than the following channels...
    Sky News, Sky Sports News, UK History Network and Sky Travel
    What is going on!? That is a poor show, where's all the BBC channels? pfffff.
    Could it just be that I don't get good enough reception for the Freeview? I wondered why I could always pick up these and no others though?

9. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i had about a 40-50% signal strength on Freeview. Bought a booster from Argos and I get 100% on every channel now. Highly recommended (but as others have said, the 'closer' you have it to your Aerial, the better the result will be).

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wrote that you are feeding two rooms so you need a TWO room booster. You shouldn't simply use a cheap Y splitter with digital signals. Everything needs to be double-shielded, including the cable.

11. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What interconnects did you buy? I am experiencing signal problems and I am looking for any way to improve things.

12. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Checking the DTV coverage predictor at http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe it is suggesting that I use a log periodic antenna. Is this particularly expensive? I live in a flat with a communal aerial in the loft of a top floor flat (not mine) so I have no access to it. My only option would be to get in touch with the factor and then everyone would have to pay their share - which might make me unpopular if I am the only one with freeview.

Currently I can view BBC1 BBC2 CH5 OK but ITV and CH4 are a no go area. A bit annoying since I just purchased a pace twin.

13. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The problem is you are only picking up one mux (out of an available six), each mux contains 4-7 channels plus radio stations, if you're only recieving one, then there is a problem with your siganl, try a booster with some ct100 cable or above rating.

P.S it's great living in swansea, pick up perfect freeview reception with no boosters and a loop aeriel :D

Rich