Freeview signal problems! Help please?

STANNY08

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right ive got a toshiba hd lcd, with built in freeview, and every morning ( and it seems its only in the morning that this occurs) for the past week or so i have had trouble with signal on some channels. Somedays its just a couple of chanels some days its more and today seems to be the worst with only a couple of channels working. (Because of this i cant watch 8 simple rules or home improvement, and that hurts.)
Any way i was wandering if anybody else is having or has had this problem, or knows what the cause maybe, i live in the farsley area of leeds if that helps. The freeview website is know help at all.

Thanks People

Could it be something to to with maintenance on the Emley Moor transmitter.
Look North reported disruption from 9.00 until 3.00 until the 4th Aug.

STANNY08 said:
Right ive got a toshiba hd lcd, with built in freeview, and every morning ( and it seems its only in the morning that this occurs) for the past week or so i have had trouble with signal on some channels. Somedays its just a couple of chanels some days its more and today seems to be the worst with only a couple of channels working. (Because of this i cant watch 8 simple rules or home improvement, and that hurts.)
Any way i was wandering if anybody else is having or has had this problem, or knows what the cause maybe, i live in the farsley area of leeds if that helps. The freeview website is know help at all.

Thanks People

There is Emily Moor transmission repair work going on. Expect this to happen until the work has been done. Four days tops.

This is the reason:)

I'm getting the same problem on my built in freeview on my Samsung 32" and also my other tvs in the house with freeview boxes!! seems to occur in the morning before I go to work - really annoying. I live in the Bedfordshire area - don't suppose anyone knows why this is?

Cheers

Eye2007 said:
There is Emily Moor transmission repair work going on./quote]

"Emily Moor" sounds like a girl ;)
Emley Moor.

I just came here to post a question re image breakup at the moment and found this.

The last few days our Pace Twin PVR has suffered severe image breakup making recordings due to this unwatchable.

Cbeebies, C5 were most recently affected, but BBC about lunchtime was getting glitches. We are pointing at Crystal Palace. Bit error rate seems to be zero. Its second in the string of things, after iCan HD Freeview box and before TV - both of which appear to be OK, incl. HD.

Where can I find out what transmitter work is being done? Hopefully it is something like reduced strength which has pushed the older design of the Pace box out of its operating window. Otherwise I feel a Humax 9200T calling.

Ol!ver said:
I've not got ANY channels what-so-ever here in Sheffield. Is this related then?

I don't know as you haven't told us the type of equipment you have...was it working and has now stopped or what?:rolleyes:
Also what is your local transmitter...just click the link in the post above yours and select your local transmitter and that will tell you if there is work going on.

JayCee said:
I don't know as you haven't told us the type of equipment you have...was it working and has now stopped or what?:rolleyes:
Also what is your local transmitter...just click the link in the post above yours and select your local transmitter and that will tell you if there is work going on.

I'm not getting any channels from either the integrated receiver in the tv or my MCE machine. Something's off as I can't get any non-digital signal either. Wonder if it's my aeriel.....

I live in the Rodley Area of Leeds and i'm pointing at Emley Moor. All the ITV channels are terrible, and ch5, e4, more4, abc1. They were all fine until one night this week. Anyone in a similar area having similar problems?

BBC stuff is fine though? Could my aerial have moved?

jonathanmusto said:
BBC stuff is fine though? Could my aerial have moved?
Possibly, although the fact that you still receive BBC suggests not. Is it loose?

It doesn't look loose, although it does look to have moved slightly on closer inspection. It appears to be everything on UHF 40 and 43 that is bad.

Anyone know of any Leeds based aerial companys that do Sunday call outs?

We're pointed at Emley Moor and had the same problems as everyone else with digital. It did seem to improve for a while, and then recently the majority of our channels (except ITV2 and a few channels around it) have been exceedingly poor. I've checked all my connections and inputs, used two separate tuners, and re-wired everything, but equipment that worked before is now so jumpy it's almost unwatchable.
I see there's more digital transmitter work on Emley Moor in the next few days, so let's hope that finally puts it right!

Re 2 problems...
1) Bad Freeview reception of "other channels" while BBC are good.
2) Worse reception at some times of day

I had these problems also and I fixed them with a cheap aerial amplifier (£10 from Argos). Adding one increased the S/N ratio on my cheapo Daewoo box from an average 19dB (marginal) to an average 24dB (rock solid).

Heres the theory... BBC transmits with more redundancy than other channels (no idea if that's true - but it sounds plausable from what I know about MPEG and error correction). This makes them more robust in a noisy environment.
(They probably have the extra money [yours and mine] to pay for the additional transmitter bandwidth).

Also - leaves on trees and atmospheric moisture cause degradation of signals (especially if your aerial looks at the transmitter through a tree like mine does:mad: ) My signal (Mendip to Swindon) gets worse when its raining.

£10 should solve the problem (in fact my new Tosh WLT66 has an in-built aerial amp that you can turn on and off - but I needed a splitter anyway)

Some smart-arse will be along in a minute to lecture us on the relative merits of mast-head amps .:devil:

Can I add my problems here? I'm in the London/Essex area. My set up is the Sony 800 box connected to a Tosh tv and Pannasonic EH50 recorder. I'm using an indoor aerial/booster.
Within the last couple of days, I've lost the ITV and Channel 4 signals, often totally. I have to move the aerial all over the place to get a signal, and then, the quality is sporadic. The other channels are fine, and I've had no trouble before.

Tenth Doctor said:
Can I add my problems here? I'm in the London/Essex area. My set up is the Sony 800 box connected to a Tosh tv and Pannasonic EH50 recorder. I'm using an indoor aerial/booster.
Within the last couple of days, I've lost the ITV and Channel 4 signals, often totally. I have to move the aerial all over the place to get a signal, and then, the quality is sporadic. The other channels are fine, and I've had no trouble before.

If you are on Crystal Palace then there has been some work going on with possible weak signal. http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/today.shtml

Not noticed it myself, I am in East London (E7) but using chimney mounted aerial.

Richard

At the moment yes. It just came back when I tried a new position for the aerial.:clap:

Cheers.

My freeview reception has taken a nosedive in the last few days. I'm viewing on my Samsung LE32R73BD LCD TV with built-in freeview and my Pace Twin which I use for recording.

The Samsung TV can be a bit twitchy but the Pace is normally rock-solid but in the last few days even that's been struggling.

I'm in the Midlands and pointed at Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom