Freeview signal not as strong anymore

me9141

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you are well.

Have used freeview in the bedroom for over the last 10 years. its always worked fine with good signal and all channels. I use an internal areial and have wired this to sit at the top of the wardrobe.

Two weeks ago the signal has just gone absolutley un watchable, with the generic pausing and jumping due to signal on most channels.

Nothing else has changed in terms of cable, areial position or t.v. Have checked freeview's website, it says the signal is normal in our area. I do not use an ampliphier, the areial is plugged straight into the t.v using an extention.

Was wonderieng if anyone else has had the same experience.

Any help is greatly apprecited.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Sam

Room aerial reception is never 100% reliable... but it seems something has changed in your locality to cause this sudden loss...

Have you had cards through from AT800 as it might conceivably be 4G related at800 - 4G Interference & Freeview: Let's be clear at 800 MHz although it is probably not the cause.

Look in the direction the aerial points outside your home: are there any building works? scaffolding? Check over the cables and any hand-made plugs/sockets for loose or poor connections or damage (e.g. a cable accidentally crushed) or plug part-out of the socket.

If you have done a retune recently, for any reason, check for better quality versions in the 800s on the receiver and/or double check you are tuned to the correct transmitter.

Presumably the main aerial for the house still works OK (rooftop or loft?)... You may need to get a feed off that?

Hi,

This is exactly the same problem I'm having in the South. We've lost all of our BBC channels both on our main Youview box (aerial in attic) and on another tv in the bedroom on a room aerial.

Same timescale and nothing has changed in terms of our setup. Tried several returns but no luck. Other channels are fine with no dropout.

I have a feeling it could be something to do with BBC's recent closure of BBC3 but I'm not sure how or why. Any suggestions would be great.

Have you got a distribution amp in the loft that has lost its power, or splitter? Bypass it to one of the TVs to see if the signal improves. Unlikely to be this as your TVs are on a room aerial.
Your feeling about BBC3 is probably wrong and it's coincidence.

Hi,

This is exactly the same problem I'm having in the South. We've lost all of our BBC channels both on our main Youview box (aerial in attic) and on another tv in the bedroom on a room aerial.

Same timescale and nothing has changed in terms of our setup. Tried several returns but no luck. Other channels are fine with no dropout.

I have a feeling it could be something to do with BBC's recent closure of BBC3 but I'm not sure how or why. Any suggestions would be great.

High air pressure conditions can temporarily affect specific frequencies like your BBC Mux.

Digital UK - Good reception guide

Are your neighbours affected ?

High air pressure conditions can temporarily affect specific frequencies like your BBC Mux.
True, except the conditions don't seem right, to me, at the moment with changeable conditions running through quite quickly... Surface pressure charts - Met Office

In any case, such interference is usually worst around dawn and dusk lasting a few hours at a time, when there is a steady high pressure system over an area for days at a time. digitaluk predictions give some figures in their detailed view for interference likelihood.

NB The BBC and Ofcom spectrum planners have a tendency to ensure the two muxes least likely to suffer from such interference are BBC A (BBC Standard Def) and D3&4 (ITV, C4, C5 sd).

@MarkS1981 : Never ever retune when you lose reception... it makes diagnosis more difficult and will not allow the signal to be received again automatically when the fault is fixed (whether by you or the broadcaster, in the event of a transmission fault.)

Are there any building works going on around you? Has anything been placed/moved in your loft or a neighbouring loft, that could have affected reception?

Manual tuning to the frequency of the mux might help to find the 'best spot' for the room aerial? Digital UK - Missing channels or wrong news service? should help.

True, except the conditions don't seem right, to me, at the moment with changeable conditions running through quite quickly...
I quite agree with this. Usually it happens at times of very quiet weather when the pressure is high for several days and often when there is fog about, though the fog doesn't actually cause it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom