Freeview signal loss in upstairs of house

chucklles

Standard Member
Hi.
I have a freeview TV upstairs that used to work fine but now cannot find a signal even after re-tuning.
I've taken it downstairs, re-tuned, and works fine. I've used the 'RF out' from the SKY HD box and works fine.
I've plugged it in the loft, where the arial re-enters the house into a splitter from the 'RF out' from the SKY HD box and works fine.
I've plugged it into each of the out ports of the splitter box and works fine. However when trying any of the upstairs arial wall sockets no signal can be found even after re-tuning.
I know all these arial wall sockets worked fine recently but had a SKY HD box installed and now they don't? But I know there isn't any signal issues from the SKY HD box. Is it a case of signal due to the distance it is travelling?

turanafon

Standard Member
are you trying to get sky or freeview ?
Make sure the RF out is set to ON so that you get power .

Last edited by a moderator:

chucklles

Standard Member
Only interested in freeview. I know the RF from the SKY box is ok as can get freeview from this in the loft where it goes to. The loss of signal happens after, before getting into any of the upstairs bedrooms.

turanafon

Standard Member
i would just run a cable from the aerial to the tv you want then, no point running thru the sky box if you dnt want sky.
It is not possible to plug an aerial into a Sky Digibox to receive Freeview channels because the boxes have not been designed this way.
These are two different systems, so you can't use the box for one to receive the other.

The Sky box is for receiving a signal from a satellite.
Freeview is a digital terrestrial system whose signals come from land-based transmitters. To receive that you will need a Freeview box or a TV with it built-in.

Last edited:

Peter Rhea

Novice Member
I know all these arial wall sockets worked fine recently but had a SKY HD box installed and now they don't? But I know there isn't any signal issues from the SKY HD box. Is it a case of signal due to the distance it is travelling?

Since the only thing that has changed is the Skybox, it would seem to suggest that the aerial signal emerging from it is not as strong as from the old one (or a connection has been damaged) & the losses in the cables to the upstairs rooms are reducing it below the threshold required for decoding.
Check the RF in/out connections, if you haven't already done so. If this is all in order, you may want to consider the options below.

Is the 'splitter' in the loft amplified? If not & you want to keep the Sky RF feed, you could try a distribution amplifier of the kind that is compatible with 'magic eyes'. Otherwise, cut the Skybox out of the loop & just connect the downlead from the aerial to this splitter.

Last edited:

chucklles

Standard Member
Thanks for the help. Will look at getting an amplified splitter as your are right in what you say. I managed to cut the splitter in the loft out of the equation, and go direct into one of the upstairs bedrooms, solving the probem. I also did diagnostics along the various points in the signal and this showed 55% signal strength from the downstairs lounge going to 45% signal strength, without the splitter, in the upstairs bedroom. I couldn't even measure a signal strength with the splitter plugged in. I don't really get why a change in sky box would affect everything so much but is the only thing it can be put down to? Thanks again.

Peter Rhea

Novice Member
I don't really get why a change in sky box would affect everything so much but is the only thing it can be put down to?

You can't really rule anything out (or in) until you've tested the item in question or replaced it with one known to be working correctly.

It doesn't take much to upset a digital signal that may only have been just above the threshold level required for reliable reception: there's no gradual deterioration like an analogue signal, it's more all-or-nothing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom