Freeview signal just died completely

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Matt_C, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    Right, this is my house this time (not my mums) and the Freeview signal just died. Stop. Nothing. Dead.

Was lying in bed being lazy watching TV and screen went blank and said "The selected channel is not tuned" which is does every now and again if the signal drops, usually when a moped goes past. Thing is flicking through channels they all say it.

So I get up try the downstairs TV and FV box - same thing, just says "NO SIGNAL" on all channels. Same on the FV box next to me in my PC room - "NO SIGNAL"

So I venture outside to make sure a cable hasn't come out or something.

Here's the set up;

Aerial on roof, 16db mast head amplifier attached to it. Cable comes down wall into the IN on a 4 way splitter. 4 outputs off this splitter to 4 points in the house.

Inside house, in sitting room is a power box thing that has the input signal fed into it and then and output coax to my FV box. This box provides the power for the mast head amp. If I turn this box off, I lose all signal.

So, I check cables outside at the splitter, everything seems fine. Check cables inside at the power box thing, cables seem fine. I unplug and plug in to be sure, then kill the power to the box, wait a bit, turn it on again.

Still nothing.

So to eliminate thing's I first take the coax from the aerial to the splitter out and attach it directly to the cox thats connected to the power box thing (so now it's AERIAL + MAST HEAD AMP > POWER BOX > FREEVIEW BOX) Still nothing.

So I can guess that one of the following has happened;

1) Signal broadcast has crashed and all my gear is fine
    2) Mast head amp on aerial has died
    3) power box has died (even tho the power indicator light is on so it appears to be working)

Pain in the ass, I can't find the invoice I got from them, so can't even call em up to come fiddle with it under warrenty!!!!!!!

2. mutamist

mutamist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    If you are in the Sandy Heath antenna region then a coouple of us have just experienced loss of every channel except CBeebies, Parliament and BBC4.

3. Jonnywishbone

Jonnywishbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    problems here too (milton keynes) - NO SIGNAL being displayed on all three lcd inbuilt freeview tuners! - wife going mental -

4. Lexic

Lexic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    experineced the same here in Kettering but all back up and running now thankfully

5. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    I am using the Sandy Heath transmitter yes - and as I type it is back up and running (watching ch4+1)

Just decided to type SANDY HEATH FREEVIEW into google and found this;

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TL204494

With this quote;

Now, guessing that the dates in that are shown backwards, and should read 1st-23rd January 2008, is that stating we will have weak signal and signal breaks like this between the 1st and 23rd of Jan?

Goodness sake! Gonna be ****** when I go to watch a recording and it's all missing

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    So it was just typical me over-reacting (as usual) and trying to find a fault in hardware when it's something else entirely - LOL.... Just I have know FV to go down, sometimes for as much as 30-60secs, but never for 10mins!