Freeview Signal Help

Number 42

Established Member
Reaction score
First Off Hello im new to the forums and they seem to be one stop shop for anything AV related. Heres my Problem, please help.

I have recently moved into a new house about a month now, i have a toshiba 37c3030d had this about four years, anyway having moved house i am struggling with freeview signal i can recieve most channels except sky3,sky news,skysportsnews, which i could live without but the freeview tuner has just died in my tv. so can longer receive any channels.

I have borrowed a friends thomson pvr [not the newest but works]and hooked up to tv having tuned it, it recognises channels but will only view 4 of them and they are unviewable constant stuttering the rest are just black screens. Trying to figure out why cannot view channels with the pvr but could with my tv [when it worked]?? difference in quality in tuners?? This is my settings page for PVR hoswing signal strength etc. - http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9791/img1204i.jpg

Having looked in attic there seems to be 2 ariels one on roof and one in attic its rented house [privately] the one on roof is connected to another lead which disappears through loft insulation so presumabley this is the one connected to the two tv arieal ports in house. This is arieal on roof is it correct type? - http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9067/img1201w.jpg

Wolfbane results UK digital TV reception predictor

Sorry for long winded post just trying to give all details so find solution quickest way, Thanks.

First Off Hello im new to the forums and they seem to be one stop shop for anything AV related. Heres my Problem, please help.

I have recently moved into a new house about a month now, i have a toshiba 37c3030d had this about four years, anyway having moved house i am struggling with freeview signal i can recieve most channels except sky3,sky news,skysportsnews, which i could live without but the freeview tuner has just died in my tv. so can longer receive any channels.

I have borrowed a friends thomson pvr [not the newest but works]and hooked up to tv having tuned it, it recognises channels but will only view 4 of them and they are unviewable constant stuttering the rest are just black screens. Trying to figure out why cannot view channels with the pvr but could with my tv [when it worked]?? difference in quality in tuners?? This is my settings page for PVR hoswing signal strength etc. - http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9791/img1204i.jpg

Having looked in attic there seems to be 2 ariels one on roof and one in attic its rented house [privately] the one on roof is connected to another lead which disappears through loft insulation so presumabley this is the one connected to the two tv arieal ports in house. This is arieal on roof is it correct type? - http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9067/img1201w.jpg

Wolfbane results UK digital TV reception predictor

Sorry for long winded post just trying to give all details so find solution quickest way, Thanks.

Firstly, what reasons do you have for thinking that the TV's tuner has failed?
If something has happened to the aerial system, this could explain why your TV receives nothing and the Thompson box next to nothing.

The fact that the picture you show says channel 39 suggests you are receiving from the Wrekin B transmitter.

The reception predictor indicates that you would require an amplifier ... so can you find one anywhere in the cable train?

If it exists, perhaps it's power supply is switched off?
If you have no amp, you may need one.

The aerial elements should be horizontal - for either of the possible 'local' transmitters. The picture you provide has an odd perspective ... It looks like the elements are horizontal but sometimes i can persuade myself they are vertical. Can you confirm they are horizontal?

Have you checked by substitution that any flyleads you may be using are not faulty?

thanks for your response,

had a look and could not find an amp any where along cable train, ariel elements are horizontal, and i have tried different leads and no difference in signal strength. Can comfirm signal comes from wrekin transmitter.

This is why i think tuner has gone in tv http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/719469-help-37c3030d-lost-all-digital-tuning.html same symtoms.

Just hooked up a cheap bush freeview box [another friends]and recieves signal quality of around50-60% same as that pvr but the channels are viewable without any stuttering? although it can pick-up sky3,skysportsnews, dave,e4+1, the signal quality for these is below 10% so unviewable which is about the same channels as what my tv could pick up. Ideally i would like to get better signal so can recieve all channels if posible, would you suggest trying to add an amp? if so which type/price sould i be looking at?

Thanks again.

Im guessing something like this would work okay?? Labgear PUH111+PSM114V Variable Gain Masthead Amp Kit 1-Way - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

If i mounted the amp as close to aerial ie on pole/in loft and then had power supply down by my tv in lounge? There is a faceplate in lounge but looks like a non-isolated type as has no markings on so should pass the current through okay to the amp?

They are not marked but its easy to check unscrew the plate and look if the centre core connects directly to the centre pin of the socket. If there's a capacitor in there you can short it out.

I have unscrewed faceplate and had a ganders no capacitor in there so should be alright. Would this type of amp need to be fitted on to the aerial pole or could i get away with it been connected inside the loft or would mounted inside the loft render using it more or less useless?

I brought the amplifier as mentioned in my previous posts i installed the masthead amp in loft space and power unit behind tv, Pretty straight forward even though i did have to change my coax connections to the F-Connection type it wasnt a strain. Anyhow All works perfectly now bet much better signal and strength. Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom