1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview signal distribution

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Harry1265, May 12, 2004.

1. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to buy the PW6 panny plasma screen. To this I'll connect my SKY digibox which is in the lounge. I still want to be able terrestrial channels currently coming though an aerial in the lounge and around the house. This signal is distributed from a distribution box to all 6 rooms in the house. My questions are:
    1) If I connect the freeview box to the aerial as it enters the house, can I then send the signal to the distribution box and then to all the rooms? Does the freeview box need a particular output? (?RF out)
    2) Are you able to change the channels on the TVs scattered around the house like you would do with a normal aerial?
    3) Any suggections on how people have connected the box to this plasma screen.
    4) Any recommendations for which box. ?PACE box

Sorry if any of these questions have already been tackled on the forum.

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    1) - Yes you do need an RF modulator to send a new channel via a normal Aerial but beware - many of the freeview box's just have an RF passthrough - they do NOT allow you to do this. I have personally used an external RF modulator - available at Maplins etc for about £20.

2) - No - the RF output above is fixed to a UHF channel so it will act like 'channel' 6 on your TV (for example). To change channels you must change it on the original freeview box. Of course you can get remote extenders that allow you to do it but everyone in the house will still be viewing the same channel.

3) - Most freeview box's have RGB via SCART so this would be the best. I don;t know of any which output component (assuming your plasma has this...) If you don;t have enough SCART inputs, then piggy back a device but make sure it's RGB all the way.

4) I personally have the Sony freeview and the picture quality is excellent but it does not have an RF mod as I said earlier.

I hope this helps ....

TeeeRex

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The chances are that you will not be able to connect the Freeview box up before the distribution unit as most Freeview boxes only output the signal via the scart socket & not via RF.
    Also if the STB is in the loft etc then you will not be able to change channels as there will be not line of sight for the IR remote. You would have to add a Remote Extender unit with aN IR receiver for each room. When you change channel in 1 room it will switch the Freeview channel for all the TV's in the house as the STB can only output a single channel.
    I connect my Freeview box to my plasma via a JS-Tech RGB to VGA converter as my plasma does not have any scarts.
    Let us know what connections you have on the plasma and any other equipment that the STB will be connected to and then we can offer more advise on the box to get as there are so many with a lot of different connections. Also a budget as they range in price from under £50 to over £100.

Mark.

4. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those messages.
    Set up seems to be getting more complicated, as I was hoping that i could channel hop on the peripheral TVs independantly, I suppose an STB for each TV would be costly but alternative solution or even buy the plasma tuner box!!! My concern about the remote access is that I tried this with the SKY system, for the TV in upstairs bedroom. Unfortunately it didn't work from there, TV installer said as there was a join in the aerial cable to this room it wouldn't carry the signal. (is there anyway round this?)

My planned setup was.
    Panasonic TH42PW6
    Component/Composite terminal board (TY-42TM6Y)
    SKY to Plasma VGA via JS convertor
    DVD to component
    Freeview to S-video

Does that sound OK?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Your setup should be fine. Just make sure that any Freeview box you buy has S-Video output as many don't.

If you get a Remote Extender they work via RF, but not via the coax areal cable but by transmitting through the air (unlike the Sky extender). You just have a box at each end that does the conversion. Therefore any connections in the coax will make no difference to the signal path back to the STB.

Rather than connecting all the TV's to Freeview via RF coax, why not get video senders. These will also send the IR remote back and you can get as many receivers to add on as you need. You could go for the followin: http://www.homeautomation.eu.com/product/59 that would cost £52.88 for the first TV (excluding the plasma) and then £41.13 per additional TV for the extra receiver.

The above site is just an example to show what you could buy. I have never used this site, so do not know if they are cheap or reliable. I just found them with a Google search.

Mark.

6. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark advise is very helpful.

Is the picture quality OK with video senders? Only experience I have with this type of kit are the RF cordless headphones see to work. The additional bonus of being able to beam a DVD sound interestig to.

I guess I'm still stuck with watching the same channel on all TVs. So the Freeview box connects to Plasma via S-video, where would the video sender sit in the chain and where would it connect to the STB? Would you suggect configuring my suggested set-up any differently?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    No, I think the way you suggest connecting everything up should work fine!

Connect the video sender to the VCR output of the STB. To transmit the DVD as well you will need to unplug the sender from Freeview and connect to an output on the DVD, or get another sender as they will have 4 channels. Just use channel 1 for DVD & channel 4 for Freeview. Not a good idea to use adjacent channels.

PQ will not be great as it is transmitting a composite signal. But it will be better than anything sent via RF on coax as you were going to do it. You will also get stereo sound from the video sender where the coax would only give mono.
    Just be aware that if the microwave is on then you will wipe out any signal from the video senders receiver that is too close to the microwave.

Mark.

8. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, only read your message now..... have just finished the school run!
    So will the picture quality via the video sender be better then the signal I'm getting now with the cables I have run round the house. (I see Argos even sells some!)

I guess I could still send my SKY box signal to the rest of the house with this cabling as I am doing at the moment.

Finally what about getting the panny reciever, are they really that bad, there seems to be very little mention of them on the forums.

9. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another thought, might be really obvious but I suppose the freeview box whichever room it's in, will still need a coaxial aerial feed to pick up the freeview channels. Is that right?

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't mess about

get a box per TV

there are a few cheapies around

11. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Have to agree with MartinImber here - why bother with video distributors (at £50 each..) when you still can only view the same channel anyway (albeit in Stereo vs Mono) - just buy a Freeview box per TV and have it all. The same can be said for the DVD player as well - what are they now for a 'bedroom' unit - £40 from Dixons ? ....

(also - quick though here - wouldn't Macrovision kick in for a RF mod on a DVD Player ?)

And to answer your last question - yes you do need a decent Aerial feed to each freeview box's (via amp if possible unless you're in a high gain area and only a couple of TV's).

12. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas. You're right the price of a STB makes one for each room a reasonable option.

13. jimsinton

jimsinton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As old portable TV's don't have SCART it is not always a complete solution to buy a freeview box for each TV