• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freeview signal differs from room to room

Hungry_Joe

Standard Member
Hi,

Already written most of this then it spazzed up so i have to rewrite it. I'm so angry i'm strongly considering invading a small country.

Anyway, onto my problem (i say, optimistically implying i have just the one). I have recently moved my tv (Panny 32LXD700) from my old room to a new one that i'm setting up as an entertainment den. But i've discovered that my freeview signal has severely diminished. Whereas before i has a strong.....er strength (10) since moved it's nose dived to around 1, with me losing a whole load of channels along the way (basically anything other than the BBC ones).

The ariel goes into a splitter/booster then is fired aroung all the rooms. I basically moved the output of the splitter so that instead of going to the old room it now goes to the new one - why would there be such a difference in signal? Granted the rooms ariel point is around 10-20 feet further on, but should it really decrease in quality that much? Annoying thing was i had got a dvd/harddrive recorder (sony hxd 870) with it's own freeview tuner which is now useless cos it only picks up about 2 channels!

What can i do? I've tried shouting at it, but it doesn't work and that's all my technical expertise allows me to do. Is this a common phenomenon (doo doo de-doodoo)?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
why would there be such a difference in signal? Granted the rooms ariel point is around 10-20 feet further on, but should it really decrease in quality that much?

You may have a duff connection at either end of the cable.
You may have used poor quality thin coax.
Did you try the cable on the one of the other outputs of the booster?.
Try running a new length of good quality coax along the floor to the room and see if that improves the signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom