Freeview set top box with a remote that can control a TV set?

andrewilley

I've asked this elsewhere but didn't get a reply. Is anyone aware of whether any of the cheap Freeview set top boxes (max £30-ish) are able to turn TV sets on and off via their remote? We want to get a cheap box for the bedroom TV, but don't want to have to mess around with two remotes when all the original TV remote will end up doing is turning the set on and off.

I know a universal remote would be an option, but I really want to keep it simple and not spend any more than I have to.

Any thoughts?

Andre

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
It could be that this function is just not offered on "cheap" boxes. I can't think of any in your price range although there are boxes that do.

andrewilley

Yes, went with a Wharfdale box from Argos in the end (seemed to get the best comments of the bargain boxes, shame it's a bit bulky though) and we may get a cheap universal remote to go with it. Thanks for everyone's help.

Andre

r21442

The stonking Sony VTXD800U can do it but I believe they don't sell them any more? £80-120 new so struggling on cost - most users unwilling to part with such a fine box 2nd hand but you never know! The manual implies you only get prog +/-, on/off and mute but I'd be surprised if the vol +/- doesn't also work since its redundant for the box itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom