Freeview series recording, intermittent failures

GW43

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing failed series recordings?

I'm getting this quite frequently, on all channels. Annoyingly, it's not all the time - sometimes it works ok.

I'm in the Edinburgh area, using a Humax FVP-5000T. Signal strength currently on CH21 is 90%, 100% quality.

Any suggestions? I've tried re-booting, retuning etc., but it's still ongoing.

Thanks

Series recordings are set by the supplier (BBC, ITV etc.). They frequently screw up.

Failed recordings may be:

Programme cancelled, replaced with alternative and original is re-scheduled to another time (had a couple in past weeks I think). {Brexit, Parliament votes etc,.,}

Recording clash, too many on-going to start another so fails to record. Should be less likely with the 4? tuner 5000?

Mess up by the Broadcaster. Happens occasionally (not frequently) in my experience. BBC Scotland have their own playout systems so AR signals could be different to the other Nations. But I sometimes grab time-shifted programmes on BBC One to avoid clashes on my freesat PVR, and haven't had any problems recently.

Freq. ch 21 is Craigkelly transmitter (aka Burntisland) in Fife. 90% signal is on the high side. There is planned work there which may cause brief switching breaks in service but they would be more likely to just cause a glitch than a recording failure.

Can you elaborate on what the problem is? Is it that an episode of the series doesn't show up at all in the recorded list? Does it show that it's going to be recorded in advance?

Series recordings are set by the supplier (BBC, ITV etc.). They frequently screw up.

They sometimes get the start or end time slightly wrong, and they're not always consistent in whether repeats and new series are recorded, but completely missing an episode isn't a frequent occurrence.

This problem, which is very real and a pain in the arse, isn't a box or platform specific issue. Its down to the broadcasters.

Not entirely. Brain dead software design doesn’t help. A programme that I record on my Panasonic PVR got shifted by an hour this week, starting at 2200 rather than 2100. My PVR sat there for the next two hours with its REC1 light flashing. Why, over those next two hours, didn’t it scan the broadcast stream to see if the programme ident was there, rather than just sitting there, in case it was running late(r)? Fair enough, it found another instance of the programme a few days later, but that isn’t always going to be the case. That, or it picks the SL version, which unless you have hearing impairment, isn’t really watchable.

Bargain basement software design ...

Clem

In your case Clem, they often don't rebroadcast a new ident. So your box, if it did re-scan, wouldn't have picked anything new up anyway.

For instance for live sport, I always record at least 1 hour after the event and sometimes more. I shouldn't have to do that, but I regard it as a safety net.

Can you elaborate on what the problem is? Is it that an episode of the series doesn't show up at all in the recorded list? Does it show that it's going to be recorded in advance?
When I set a series to record - let's say Match of the Day, it will record the first programme. After the first episode has recorded, when I look in the schedule against MOTD it says "Getting information". The next episdode is shown in the EPG to be broadcast a week later, but it does not have the recording symbol against it, so my assumption is it will not record.

If I do nothing, it fails to record. I have to re-set the recording. For MOTD and the like it's not really an issue, as I watch it within a day or so. For dramma series where I prefer to record a few episodes and then binge, the episodes often end up in different folders whicha re impossible to merge.

Some programmes are OK, some are as described above.

Bloody annoying though...

That sounds like it's a box software issue or an EPG data issue and it's not getting scheduled rather than anything to do with the recording process itself.

Have you factory reset the box? That'll generally keep the recordings, although it should tell you when it asks for confirmation.

I'm not quite sure how the EPG data works but I'm under the impression it's broadcast alongside the channels as part of the multiplex data stream so it seems unlikely to be reception issues.

Its now at the stage where it needs to be asked whats the box make and model?

FVP-5000T can record up to 4 at once but has only 3 not 4 tuners.

OK from my satellite PVR - but both Freeview and freesat should be the same:
BBC One Scotland MoTD Sun 22 Sep 07:30
CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/5LTV
Series CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4R1L/1

BBC One Scotland MoTD 2 tonight 2035:
CRID = fp.bbc.co.uk/m/5LXT
Series CRID = fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4V7B

BBC One Scotland MoTD Sat 28 Sep 2019 22:30 BST
CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/5Q9D
Series CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4R1L

BBC One Scotland MoTD Sun 29 Sep 2019 07:30
CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/5Q9D
Series CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4R1L/1

BBC One Scotland MoTD 2 Sun 29 Sep 2019 22:30 BST
CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/5QSK
Series CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4V7B

Those look OK to me for both MoTD and MoTD2 in Scotland. All the HD and SD variants on satellite use the identical accurate record codes so any errors would be UK&NI-wide (for this and next week at least).

Has yesterday worked and is next Sat marked to record? What about the separate scheduled MoTD2 item this/next Sunday?

In your case Clem, they often don't rebroadcast a new ident. So your box, if it did re-scan, wouldn't have picked anything new up anyway.

For instance for live sport, I always record at least 1 hour after the event and sometimes more. I shouldn't have to do that, but I regard it as a safety net.

Cheers. In this instance, the announcer gave a "changes to some listings" message. We caught the programme at 2200 on More4+1. But if More4 had altered the schedule, why not broadcast a new ident? It's not as if they didn't know about the change. The whole thing seems too fragile to me, but then I suppose with the push to catch-up services the idea of people still using PVRs must appear quite quaint to many. If the quality of the UK catch-up services was better, then I would be tempted to junk my PVRs, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Clem

Channel Four has previous form for getting things wrong - consistently!

Not recently, but several years ago now on separate occasions, I had problems with Channel Four's sister channels (E4) CRID identifiers... they were transmitted half-arsed and incomplete, with the 'Series' and 'Programme' CRIDS all muddled up.

I complained to Channel Four, who replied back and said they would re-transmit the CRIDS that one time - but they weren't going to again. That says much of Channel Four's customer relations department. Foolish behaviour.

[QUOTE

Has yesterday worked and is next Sat marked to record? What about the separate scheduled MoTD2 item this/next Sunday?
[/QUOTE]

From the weekend, both MOTD and MOTD are showing as "Geting Information", therefore I assume they will not record next weekend. "EFL on Quest HD" is also "Getting Information", but as my term keeps losing, I'm not as worried about this one!

The British Cycling World Championship highlights programme broadcast daily on BBC is fine. Rugby Union World Cup highlights (again daily) on STV is also fine.

I may look into the factory re-set, but would hate to lose all this recorded stuff - even though I delete a lot of stuff without watching it!

Factory reset on Humax devices should NOT delete recordings. That needs a different <Format disk> menu item to be invoked.

I'm not familiar with the 'getting information' you see on the 5000T - I've not seen that on either my Foxsat-HDR nor HDR-Fox-T2 as far as I can recall.

It may be worth reading other Forums about the 5000T? e.g. FVP 4000T, 5000T « My Humax Forum and FVP-4000T/5000T Freeview Play HD Recorders to see if anything on their is similar to your problem? Or just google. One thread I found was regarding EPG data problems with the unit?

If you do perform a reset ensure that you then manually tune only the Craigkelly multiplex frequencies in case any symptoms are a result of reception from another site (Black Hill, Angus or Durris) via auto tune. (If you can do that with a You View interface box?)

Having re-tuned the box (again) I"m now of channel 57 with a signal strength of around 70%, and things seem to be behaving themselves again.

Weekly series recordings (such as MOTD/2) appear as expected in the schedule. All"s good, until the next time!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom