Freeview SD on a 40-inch 4KTV?

Repetez3fois

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a more expert opinion on what standard definition Freeview broadcasts look like when viewed on a 40-43" 4K TV? My parents have limited viewing requirements but seem keen on the Samsung UE40JU6000 that's under £400 at the moment.

They wouldn't miss any of the 'smart' facilities, have no need for Netflix or the like and barely make use of Freeview HD channels even though they are readily available (the extra two buttons presses required to choose channel 101 are a step too far, it seems).

Any guidance appreciated - Sarah.

Depends on their viewing distance really.

On my 55" sky/bbc looks ok from where I sit (8.5 feet from tv) but some other channels are downright awful.

From experience of the newer version of the TV you mention (KU ) I can say that SD varies a lot depending on the source. BBC,ITV etc are tolerable whilst some lesser channels on Freeview make uncomfortable viewing once you have seen HD. Can I suggest you put the channels they watch in a 'favorites' list so they access them rather than SD. However the deficiencies of SD on a 4k screen are slightly less obvious on smaller screens as opposed to bigger ones, depending on how far you sit from the screen.

Last edited:
Picture processing options vary from brands and modesl, Sony 4k sets have some very good options to make Freeview look reasonable imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom