Freeview rgb pass thru'

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by RossC, Nov 19, 2003.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Quick qustion: if I want to buy a freeview box that can also link a DVD player via RGB scart output to the TV then assume i need one with two scarts, one of which must be RGB in and out, the other RGB in only?

If I then wanted to add the video to the chain then both would need to be RGB in and out?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

2. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In answer to your first question, you are correct. I'm only aware of the NETGEM player and PACE TWIN that can do this?

Not sure how you would connect the video in the chain without a scart splitter box that would probably bugger up the DVD/ Freeview picture. There is little point having RGB out to the video, as the quality is only composite anyway. You might as well feed the video from the other scarts on the TV. More knowlegable people may disagree.

If you have a SVHS player, a SVIDEO connection would give you better quality

Hope this helps

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    The Phillips DTR1500, Sagem ITD602, Pioneer TF100F and Panasonic TUCT30 has RGB in on the second (VCR) scart.

4. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    oh:blush:

Hope my second bit is'nt total b****cks

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Personally, assuming your DVD player has twin scarts, I'd run the freeview boxes output through that, so your chain would be:
    Freeview -> DVD -> TV

Then if you need to add a VCR (and assuming the main SCART on your VCR is a 2-way SCART), connect AV1 on your VCR to the VCR SCART on the Freeview box, the TV SCART on your Freeview Box to AV2 on your DVD player, and AV1 SCART on DVD to TV SCART (i.e. VCR -> Freeview Box -> DVD -> TV).

THat's how I'm currently set-up, which has the bonus of allowing me to record off Freeview while watching a DVD (if the Freeview box and DVD player swapped places in the chain, then I wouldn't be able to watch a DVD without putting the Freeview box into standby, which = no recording off DTT while watching a DVD)

6. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone much appreciated as it's actually a set-up for some relatives so just wanted to be doubly sure before I go messing around!