Freeview Recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PerpetualOmega, Dec 15, 2004.

1. PerpetualOmega

PerpetualOmega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have the Freeview box Nokia 221T. I use the Spdif for audio to an amp. i use the scart socket to convert to a composite video (Yellow Cable) signal which also gets relayed through the amp.
    The problem im having is that i can watch programs fine but i cant record them. I use a Panasonic DMR100 HDD/DVD-r/RAM machine as my recorder. A message appears saying...."Copying Of Copyright Material Is Not Allowed". this message also appears on a direct connection from the digital box and the recorder. The message is in the form of the GUI on the DVD Recoder.

Now this appears no matter what channel i select to record through the digital box, but i can record normal channels through analoge fine. Is this a Nokia a panasonic thing or do the transmitters transmit a blocking signal along with the program?
    The thing is i thought the goverment and electronic manufacturers want everyone to switch to digital but how can we if we cant record anything. It is not illegal to record a TV program as long as its for personal viewing so whats going on...am i missing something?. please help if you can, thank you.

Beanie

2. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have a Panasonic DVB (Freeview) wide screen TV and I can record from that to my DMR 100, so it's not the transmissions which are not recordable.

I do not know why you can't record from your Nokia, but the transmissions are not blocked.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    It's possible theres something odd (perhaps noise) on the composite video output of the Freeview box or the Amp which the DVD recorder is interpreting as a copyright signal.

I would try experimenting with a direct RGB scart connection from the AV1 output of the Freeview box to AV2 on the Panny DVDR to see if that works OK.

4. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Or temporarily substitute the Freevierw box just in case you need to change one of the settings as the DVD recorder should record Freeview no problem.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    why are you using composite? its the worst connection you can use use RGB AV1 on 221t>AV2 on E100 and then AV1 E100>TV set all outputs and inputs to RGB (need to use TV scart on 221t

6. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I get the impression it's 'cos he's going through the amp

7. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The copy protection message is a known problem with one of the Humax DTT receivers as the software in the box permanently sets a copy prohibit flag. It sounds like you have a similar problem with the Nokia. I am surprised though as Nokia are normally well built and debugged boxes. It may be a "rogue" Nokia but I should return it to the dealer telling them of your problem. It would probably work with older analogue recorders but more and more copyright protection is being built in to these things these days. When I had a problem like this with the Humax, I simply got a "special" Scart lead that has a chip in one of the plugs. There was some aggravation some time ago about posting details of where to get these on these forums so send me a PM and I will give you further details. Whilst it will cost you £20-£30, it will also allow you to make "backups" of other Macrovision protected material like DVDs.

8. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Humax receiver are you referring to, please?

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If all else fails, get one of these but make sure that you use an external power supply with it, because they don't always work properly if they take their power from the scart socket.

10. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Humax with the "protection" flag permanently set is the FT1001-T2