1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview recording to VCR. I can't make it work

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by DavidF2005, Oct 27, 2005.

1. DavidF2005

DavidF2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Freeview Box is a Pioneer DBR-TF100GB, with 2 SCART sockets. The 'TV' socket is connected to the TV and all is OK on that front. I have just connected a SCART cable from the second ('VCR') socket to the VCR's second (AV2) socket. (The VCR is a Goodmans VN9500S). I have set the AV2 option to AV2, as opposed to 'Decoder' and then selected AV2 as the programme to record. With the Freeview switched 'on', I should get a recording, but there's nothing. Merely a plain blue screen. Can anyone advise on possible errors here, preferably before 'West Wing' tomorrow!

Note the following. The VCR is also connected to the Freeview box via aerial connections, and I can record analogue channels OK (although the quality is rather poor) in the 'conventional' way. Also, I whilst trying to record from (digital) freeview, I have changed the freeview settings as follows: picture size 16:9 and 4:3; signal types 'composite' and 's-video' which are the only 2 options available.

(I have just noticed that the Freeview box VCR Scart specification separately addresses ‘input’ and ‘output’. How/why do you INPUT to a Freeview Scart? I can’t find any means of switching this Scart between input and output

All help gratefully received. Thanks,

David

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

You know how to record analogue, so that is not a problem.

To test the VCR, unplug the scart digibox from the TV.

And then sellect the VCR on the TV.

Once you can see whatever is showing on the VCR, you know you are looking at the picture from your video.
    If you then scrole up/down through the VCR channels, if you go from 5 to 4 -3-2-1 it will then carry on to AV1 to AV2 then 99- 98 ect.
    When you get to the AV channels you should be able to see the picture from your freeview box.

Nigel

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would have thought that the 2nd SCART on your Freeview box would probably provide pass-through for audio and video (so that, for example, if you only had one SCART you could loop your VCR SCART output through the Freeview box i.e. put your Freeview box in standby and you see the VCR output on your TV, bring your Freeview box out of standby and see Freeview).

Is there any reason why you set AV2 to AV2 rather than decoder? What happens when you set AV2 to deccder? When you switch to your VCR input on the TV and change to AV2, do you get anything?

4. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I only have one scart connection on my VCR, but have no difficulty in recording Freeview. The main aerial lead is connected to the Freeview box; the box is connected to the VCR via Scart and coax cable; the VCR is connected to the TV via another coax link; and the box is connected to the AV1 on theTV via a Scart. Why is your box connected to the VCR's AV2; have you tried the AV1?

5. DavidF2005

DavidF2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try in the next day or two, as suggested.

"Is there any reason why you set AV2 to AV2 rather than decoder?". The manual for the VCR stipulates this. 'Decoder' is for 'Pay TV equipment Decoder'. However, if all else fails, I might try that option.

"When you switch to your VCR input on the TV and change to AV2, do you get anything?" I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if I can get real time feed from the Freeview box, through the VCR and on to the TV? I might try this, probably disconnecting the Freeview to TV SCART lead first to avoid any ambiguity as to which is controlling the TV.

"Why is your box connected to the VCR's AV2; have you tried the AV1?" Again, that is what the VCR manual says "Extra equipment AV2, for example, camcorder, another video or a satellite system". VCR's AV1 is the feed from the VCR to the TV, whch is generally a better option than feeding via UHF/aerial sockets.

Thanks and regards, David

6. DavidF2005

DavidF2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I've solved the basic problem, although I still have some minor points.

Firstly, the solution was embarrassingly simple and discovered when I was about to see what happens if I feed the VCR from the Freeview box (known working) TV Scart socket. Yes, you've guessed it. I found that the Freeview to VCR cable I had recently fitted was not properly plugged in!!!! :oops: Obvious thing to look for (I had already checked it, but obviously not well enough. OK these plugs are fiddly and round the back etc., but really!

So the system works well enough, but 2 nuisances remain. Firstly, of the two digibox output options available on its VCR output (composite and S-VIDEO) only the composite works 'properly' so quality is not brilliant. If I select S-VIDEO, which the VCR is supposed to accept, it records in B&W only. Secondly, the VCR has 3 modes for 16:9 recording: on, off and auto. I'd like to use auto so that the VCR adapts itself to Freeview (16:9) and analogue (4:3), but in auto it doesn't adapt properly and gives a distorted picture, stretching the image vertically. So I'll just have to get used to selecting manually, or leave the VCR in 4:3 mode permanently, just for safety.

Any advice on these 2 remaining glitches?

Thanks for your advice, David

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Unless it is specifically an s-vhs recorder, your vcr can only record composite video. S-video splits the luminance (black & white) and chrominance (colour) signals to give a better quality recording. A regular vcr will only record the chrominance signal if fed a s-video signal. If you replace your vcr at some time get a s-vhs capable one.

Your vcr doesn't 'know' if the signal from the freeview box is 16:9 or 4:3 . I suspect that the 3 options are only for the input via the tuner and not the AV input. If you have a 4:3 tv leave the digibox set to letterbox and record that If you have a widescreen tv, set the digibox to 16:9 and record that.

Brian