Freeview Recording query

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by philofcas, Feb 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hello all,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but can i record from our Panasonic freeview tv onto a standard VCR ?, the vcr is an ageing JVC and the tv is new. I used to be able to record freeview onto the vcr from our last crt tv (a Panasonic) by using a direct link function, but you could only watch the channel you were recording and also if the tv was turned off then the recording would stop.

Thanks for any help.

Phil.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,295
    Yes, but all the same things will be true.

The point is, in the "old days" your VCR never did record "from the TV". It recorded from an aerial using its own Tuner. So the TV didn't need to be on.

Come digital and your VCR hasn't got its own Digital tuner - so it can still only record analogue (as before) without being "fed" the signal from some other source - such as your TV. So now it (sort of) really is recording "from the TV". Which, as you say, therefore needs to be on, and tuned to the programme you want to record.

Seriously - ditch the VCR (or keep it for playback purposes only) and get a Hard Drive recorder such as a PVR.

If you must stick to your E180s, then consider buying a separate Freeview set top box to "feed" the VCR.

3. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thanks Nigel, i just want to make sure there's no way of the tv sending its freeview signal to the vcr, is that impossible ? and i do apologise if that is what you have said above !!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,295
    A Freeview "signal" needs a Freeview tuner in order to become anything useful. One Freeview tuner receives one Freeview programme at a time. "Receiving" includes converting it into some type of video signal which can be displayed on a screen, or recorded, or both.

Your VCR (presumably) doesn't have a Freeview tuner. So the only way it can record a Freeview programme is if an external tuner has already "received" it - can be the one in your TV or a separate one.

So, yes, your TV's receiver can send whatever programme it is tuned in to - to the VCR for recording. But it has to be on and working and you can't use it for anything else at the same time. So - the same limitations you describe with your old TV.

(Or did you mean something different?)

5. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    no that's it i believe Nigel thank you, i had the ability to set my vcr to 'direct record', when i was watching freeview from my previous seperate set top box and hit record on the vcr, the tv displayed 'recording from tv source' which then recorded 'freeview', which was Ok if we were watching and wanted to record the same programme, or if we were going to go out or goin to bed say, i could set the 'tv timer off' and the tv would switch off and also stop the vcr recording. This was my only way of recording from freeview, though i really need the facility to record freeview and either watch analogue or watch a film via a PS3, should this be possible ? and if so what would be the way of wiring it up ?, i really appreciate your help, thanks again.

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,295
    It depends on the TV - some can produce an output from their tuner (to feed a VCR say) whilst the screen is displaying an external source (eg DVD/PS3). I can't speak for yours either way.

But I'd have to suggest again that you really are making your life much more awkward than it needs be. Unless you are really, really short of cash, you should go buy another box. At the very least a standalone Freeview set top box to feed the VCR but far, far better a Freeview PVR.

(But I must admit now to being confused by your new reference to a "previous set top box". You said earlier your had a Freeview TV. So, did you have a separate Freeview set top box - or not? And if yes, do you still have it?)

7. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    .. and if you still have it; use it as a source for your VCR.

Over on "Freeview" I recently posted the following on a thread of similar content
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...nnel-while-recording-other-2.html#post8788081

I have only very recently moved from VCR to PVR - because I got a good deal on a PVR. Before that I was holding out for High Definition before buying yet more soon to be obsolete kit.

8. tonyselon

tonyselon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    >>>philofacs

Why on earth would you still bother with a VCR to record?? Seriously get a twin tuner PVR. Tesco has some good prices of £90/£120 160GB and 250GB. They even do a Sharp PVR with HDMI and 250Gb which my local store is selling £89.

9. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    We do still have one, but on purchase of new tv it went upstairs to provide freeview for the son in his bedroom.

thanks scribbler, see below, i realise now there's a sort of get around with a seperate box but like you all are saying it's a bit of a faff and ideally we want to keep boxes/cabling to a minimum

You're right Tony, I do wonder myself sometimes :D, I keep getting ribbed at work for having one (and my magazine rack too!), i suppose i've kept it as it continues to work, sort of :)
    People at work seem to either have SKY+/DVD recorders or don't bother recording much.

I'm loath to get SKY so, on balance, i think the time has come to get a PVR, thanks for all your input, cheers all, much appreciated