Freeview recorder with series select

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by tom1, Sep 15, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Please can someone advise me what i need exactly and if possible recommend a model to buy. My requirements are as follows, but being unsavvy with tech stuff, i'd really appreciate some help:

-i watch freeview only (no broadband, no sky, cable etc.) the freeview is built in to my tv.

-i want to be able to record straight onto hard drive and most importantly to select a whole series and record in advance.

-i think i'd need the option to watch one channel and record another.

i can't think of anything else, but in essence, i suppose i'm looking for the uses of somethign like sky+ but without freeview instead of any sort of package.

many thanks in advance.

2. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    There are very few units around with series link at present - it's part of the Freeview Playback spec, which is divided into 'groups' of functions; most kit on sale with the Freeview Playback logo supports only group 1 - which is 'accurate recording' chiefly. Group 2 recorders will appear over the next few months, I expect.

In the meantime, the Thomson TopUp TV box does have series link - it uses its own data rather than Freeview Playback - but I'd be inclined to wait a little while and see what comes from other manufacturers in the run up to christmas.

If you don't want to wait, the Topfield TF5800 can do things very similar to Series Link with the addition of some extra (free) software, and has a very customisable interface.

3. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    many thanks for your response.

from a quick look, the topfield one looks too complicated for my abilities.. guess i'll have to wait for more options

4. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Buying the right Sony recorder with built in freeview, large hard disk and built in DVD recorder drive should give the requirements outlined above, as you will be able to any freeview channels via your TVs tuner at times your machine is recording from its freeview tuner. The Sony RDRHXD870
    for example is one of the models with Freeview Series Link. Although the feature is useful for those programmes whose slot can move, in reality many people find a mix of freeview series link timers and the usual repeat timer options get the best out of recording a series on freeview. This is because series link on the platform is in its early days and some broadcasters arent very good at it yet - plus the manufacturers will get better at handling it to. If you are happy for series to be recorded in the usual way, with repeat timers (set to daily, weekly, weekday or weekend) then a twin tuner freeview hard disk recorder with repeat timers will be good, and simpler to manage in many respects.

5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Remember though that DVD recorders have issues over how they record Freeview, either using more space or throwing away some quality to keep the size down or some mix of the 2. Its a fairly high price to pay for working series link. Dual recording is not something to give up easily either.