freeview recorder for nan?

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Hi

Im looking for a freeview+ recorder for my Nan , she struggles a lot with her current recorder box because its very complicated , its a Sony recorder with built-in hardrive and freeview and I must admit even I find it a little confusing as the controls and menu is not layed out very well.

I know not all elderly people like to learn the newer tech but my nan does like recording stuff and is willing to get to grips with newer stuff.

She has a 32" sony hd tv.

So the box I would like to get would ideally need the following , but most of all be user friendly

hdmi connection
freeview hd channels
easy one button press recording from EPG
easy to navigate menus
1-2 tuners for recording

What box would be ideal?

Budget £100

many thanks:)

Last edited:

bow79

Novice Member
Budget likley to be a problem if you want hd. You need £150 to £200 Though you may get a clearance at that price I have been. I have 3 different models all a bit of a nightmare to drive.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Budget likley to be a problem if you want hd. You need £150 to £200 Though you may get a clearance at that price I have been. I have 3 different models all a bit of a nightmare to drive.
thanks , hd is not a big problem but it would be better if it had it as it means a tidy cable at the back as well as the hd channels instead of the big bulky scart cable!

Keep you eyes on the specs. The fact that it is not HD doesn't necessarily mean that it won't have an HDMI connection.

I've got an old-ish Panasonic Freeview-based HDD/DVD recorder which doesn't have any kind of HD functionality (standard def Freeview tuner and a DVD, rather than BluRay component) but it does have an HDMI connection which I use to connect it to my TV.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
thanks , hd is not a big problem but it would be better if it had it as it means a tidy cable at the back as well as the hd channels instead of the big bulky scart cable!

There's a few SD Freeview+ pvrs around with upscaling to hdmi. The Humax 9300 and Topfield 5810 for instance.

If you are happy with a single tuner the Humax HD FOX T2 will record to a seperate usb drive. Box from about £100.00, 500GB drive about £50.00.

Last edited:

gunner84

Distinguished Member
thanks for the replies guys , it really needs to be all in one box rather than a box that you have to add hdd storage.

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
thanks for the replies guys , it really needs to be all in one box rather than a box that you have to add hd storage.
Please use HDD if referring to Hard disk drive to avoid confusion with HD - High Definition - Thanks.