freeview reception

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by mufc07, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mufc07

mufc07
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    the main ariel is up in the loft routed down to all rooms, just bought a new tv for bedroom but i can only receive a few channels (bbc channels can't receive)

If i run setup in another room it finds all channels but taking tv back into bedroom it says no signal

Any idea how this is possible if its feed through the same ariel?

Many thanks for any help

2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,523
    Obviously in the loft is not the best place for the aerial for getting the best signal, but you'd need to go have a look and see how the cables are connected to the aerial and then check if all connections are connected up correctly.
    How have you connected and routed the cables from the aerial?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    As gonzo indicates, it is very much dependent upon how it is all connected together. If someone has tried to connect all the different rooms to one aerial just by joining up all the cables together, or by using multiple unpowered splitters, you are bound to have lots of signal loss which, added to the fact that the aerial is only in the loft, means that the chances of getting reliable results everywhere are poor.

The least that you need is some kind of multiple output distribution amplifier, as near to the aerial as possible, with one cable from the aerial to the amplifier input socket and one cable to each location which is connected, on its own, to one of the output sockets on the amplifier.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. N.Dean

N.Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There appears to be enough signal in the loft to feed a TV downstairs. You could put another aerial in the loft, for the upstairs TV.

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Just make sure it's at least a metre - preferably a bit more - away from the other aerial if you do go that route.

6. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Can an aerial signal be too powerful for the TV set? Prior to installing a new Humax PVR twin tuner on Friday, I had in my system a Matsui digibox (kept only for the red digital timer display!), a soon to be redundant analogue tuner-based Pioneer HDD DVD recorder and a Freeview Pioneer HDD DVD.
    The incoming aerial went into the old Digibox and then out and then was daisy-chained in and out of the two Recorders before going back to my Sony LCD TV. I removed the digibox and the analogue Pioneer recorder, leaving, now, the Digital HDD DVD recorder and the Humax. Because of no aerial pass-through on the Humax if the 'Power Saving' by default is left 'on' I decided to put a good quality splitter in the aerial as it lay on the floor and then took an RF cable straight to the Humax. The other side went to the Pioneer recorder and then back to the TV.
    Everything works fine but I can't help noticing or imagining, perhaps that my TV's so crisp picture on good quality Freeview SD channels look a little less sharp than before my alterations. I went into the TV's menu and checked the signal strength and that shows maximum on its scale.
    Is there signal loss this way or can the signal be too strong? I have a couple of 6 and 12dB attenuators to put in line to the TV but would this make any difference. I'm only about 10 miles from the Crystal Palace transmitter.

I have thought of trying, putting one side of the splitter straight to the TV now and the RF out aerial, from the Pioneer HDD DVD recorde,r into the Humax where it would end there.

It would be annoying had this work coincided with local Freeview transmitter problems over the last few days or even weather conditions.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    It is possible but I suspect the answer may lie elsewhere. First, does the TV have its own Freeview tuner? (I presumed not as you used the Matsui box but the comment about it only being kept for the display threw me.)

Assuming it is not the picture from a tuner internal to the TV, the main culprit may be the settings or connections used to feed your DVD recorder or PVR. If possible, use HDMI leads rather than SCART. If you have to use SCART, set the output from the separate boxes to RGB rather than any other setting and do the same for the SCART inputs on your TV. I believe Sony sets only have this on the SCART1 or AV1 input.

Although it sounds counter-intuitive, turn the 'sharpness' or similar control off or down to 0. These controls often introduce an edge effect to mimic sharpness rather affecting the actual sharpness of a picture. Picture contrast can also have an effect on perceived sharpness and in the course of setup you may find you have altered the picture setting on the LCD. These are often referred to as (in ascending order of contrast) Cinema/Movie; Standard and Dynamic.

8. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    My LCD TV with built in Freeview digital tuner has not been altered at all except for the aerial feed now coming from chain with less equipment in it and of course having a splitter to take a feed to the Humax.
    I have my own little red book of all the settings for all the inputs and the TV's own settings, the latter which I have tweaked a bit. I'll persevere a bit and slacken off the sharpness when I readjust to things.
    I always get a bit uptight when I do things like this as it's my nature and I feel as though systems settle down after having been interfered with although there's probably so scientific/electronic reason to support this.

I'll try an alternative RF feed in that I'll take one side of the splitter straight to the TV and the other side to the DVD recorder and thence onto and ending in the Humax PVR.

My SCART leads are all the same and feed the same inputs in the telly. I will experiment with the HDMI 'experience' although the fact that it does not autoswitch is a bit of a nuisance for SWMBO. :rolleyes:

For the types of programmes I watch i.e. no Sport, soaps or American series then I won't gain much by viewing by HDMI.

Thanks for you help in this matter, however.

9. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    You should have no problems daisy chaining the aerial through the Humax HDR Fox T2, just remember to set the sleep function so that it maintains the slight signal amplification it gives (Menu > Settings > System > Power management > Power saving in standby [set to off])

You should of course connect this HD PVR using the supplied HDMI lead or the high definition signal will not get to the TV. You will definitely see an improvement on these even if the original was SD - the T2 transmission system and the upscaling gives far fewer and smaller "digital artifacts" compared to the same programme on SD.

Most people use a PVR as the main input and watch it constantly so they can use the pause/resume function. With the Humax you will also get a warning on screen if you are watching a BBC SD channel and the programme is being broadcast in HD. A downside is that the Humax does not introduce things like edge enhancement so some people consider the SD output to be "soft" for the reasons I give above.