Freeview reception

geeWcee

Checked the availability and reception on the freeview website and everything was fine. So I went out and got myself a Sony VTX800U freeview box. Very pleased with it and its got optical out aswell.
Anyway, tuned it in and everything was great - for a day. I cancelled my cable TV sunscription there and then cos I was that pleased!
The second night I came back from work to sit down to some TV and a beer, but the picture quality on anything but BBC channels was appalling. Its now a week since and I have tried tuning it in again but to no avail. I can't understand why it worked fine for one day.
Anyway, the aerial on my roof is God knows how old - Is it time for an upgrade? Or would it be money down the drain? Terrestrial channels are perfect.
Also if I go ahead and upgrade is there anything specific I should be asking these cowboy installers for, so they dont rip me off? (I hate using tradesmen - but I'm not getting up on ma roof!!).

Thanks for your help guys.

Archie Fax

Novice Member
Originally posted by geeWcee
but the picture quality on anything but BBC channels was appalling. Its now a week since and I have tried tuning it in again but to no avail.
Appalling in what way? Pixellation? Break up?
Might be a simple aerial re-alignment needed, or new cable. :confused:

cerebros

Has the weather changed since you first installed the box?

I find with my Nokia 221T that some days I can get everything fine, other days certain channels such as 5 either can't be received or are just a mess of blocks and pixels.

This wasn't the case back in summer when I got the box - the reception definitely got worse over winter, with only BBC1 & 2, Channel 4, both ITV's, both music channels and UK History being ones that I can pick up all the time no matter what the weather is (although I always get interference from cars driving past)

geeWcee

Bad pixellation mainly and sound breakup.
Although today alot of the channels were fine again for around 6 hours....???

Confucius

Aerial problem.

Had a similar situation at the house I have just moved to. good signal at certain times of day, and in certain weathers. Get a decent (CAI approved) engineer to give it the once-over.

geeWcee

Cheers mate. Was beginning to think spending 150 notes to upgrade the aerial would have been pointless.
After reading cerebros' post i thought it was something i would just have to put up with.
Dont suppose anyone could recommend a CAI approved engineer in the West Yorkshire area?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom