Freeview reception spoilt by Skybox?

john323

Standard Member
After going the expense of getting a new ariel and signal meter, it now appears that poor freeview reception is being caused by a SkyDigibox.

The ariel signal first feeds into the SkyDigibox (to add Sky to the analogue channel), it then goes up to the loft to be split by a 6 way booster to other TVs.

I can only get channels from these frequencies 482, 506, 530, 538. The ITV channels (482) suffer intermitent poor reception.

I experiemented connecting my USB DVB receiver direct to the ariel and discovered lots more channels, especially on frequencies 562, 578.

Is this a known issue with SkyDigiboxes (my one is a "Pace" model well over 10 yrs old). How else can I get a good Freeview reception and keep Sky at the same time?

thanks for reading
John

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
You need to move the transmitted SKY signal away from the Freeview signals.
Example SKY is outputting on CH43, and Freeview in your area is on 41 to 52.
You need to go into the SKY box and move from Ch43 to say CH25.

john323

Standard Member
Thanks for the tip Andy, snag is that after looking at the system setup, I cant find any way to change the broadcast frequency. Might be fixed on a box this old.
Will try calling Sky tomorrow.

Gavtech

Administrator
If your unit is connected by HDMI, try temporarily connecting by scart only as HDMI causing UHF interference, knocking out certain parts of the waveband, is a known problem.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Go into your SKY box by pressing in sequence 4,0,1. This brings up the service menu were you can change the frequency from anywhere between 23 and 69.
After making a note were Freeview tunes in move the frequency to the other end, not right at the end.
You will need to retune the remote sets that pick up SKY due to the new frequency.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
You need the button sequence
<Services> <4> <0> <1> <Select>
to get to the Installer Menu.
The Sky box can be set to output on ch 21 to 69 inclusive.

The centre frequencies you list are the centre frequencies for channels 22, 25, 28, 29, 32 and 34.... but I can't work out which transmitter uses that combination.

Check Digital UK - Postcode checker for your location - using the trade view to get all the frequencies you are likely to receive at your location (analogue and digital) so you can choose a 'free' one.

68 would probably be a good one to go for - assuming the Sky box is currently set in the 21-38 area. If it isn't, the RF modulator might not be the problem (?overload? due to the amplifier in the Sky receiver?).

Gavtech

Administrator
The centre frequencies you list are the centre frequencies for channels 22, 25, 28, 29, 32 and 34.... but I can't work out which transmitter uses that combination.

Crystal Palace I think.

john323

Standard Member
The DVB USB Stick shows some more channels are there, but there is no reception on the old ariel. I am hoping the new ariel will sort this.

Yes, its it pointing at Crystal Palace.

Thanks for the help guys.
John

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom