Freeview reception question.....

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Uzey, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only me!

I checked my postcode on the 'Freeview' website and was informed that I could get it but 'MAY' have to upgrade my aerial. I bought it regardless and was happy to find that all the channels were found by the nifty little 'Echostar' box!
    Now, I have found that all the main channels (BBC1, ITV, ITV2, Channel 4 etc...) have very blocky reception BUT the less mainstream channels (QVC, UK History, Music Channels etc...) have pixel perfect reception.
    I would have thought that if you recieve one channel perfectly, then you will recieve them all perfectly ALA digital!
    Can anybody explain this?

Thanks in advance,

Uzeless.:zonked:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The muxes that Freeview controls are broadcast using a protocol designed for reliabilty and coverage, the muxes that are not under the direct control of Freeview chose to use the old system that ON/ITV Digital used which was meant to increase capacity at the expense of reliabilty and coverage.

So it's prefectly possible in fringe areas to get some channels and not others even with a good wideband aerial.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Especially if you didn't fit the proper coax cable.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Also, all these digital channels are bunched together into 'muxes'. Each 'mux' contains several digital programmes. Each 'mux' is broadcast on a single UHF TV channel.

So, in the same way that you might, on analog, say, get bad reception of C4, but good on 1, 2, 3, and 5; the same applies to 'muxes' except that, if you have one poor 'mux' it will result in poor reception of all the channels in it.

5. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha!
    That explains the pooey picture on ITV 1 AND ITV 2!

Is there any way to 'boost' the signals?