1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview Reception Problems?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Cheng, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I recently got a iDTV (Tosh. 36ZT29B) and on The hits, TMF, ftn and uktv I don't get a a very good signal, its breaks up and often doesn't play. HOWEVER, the rest of the channels are perfectly clear, its only these 4 channels (they're all next to each other), I only sometimes get a reception when its a clear sky. (I think).

Should I be looking for a new aerial as the rest of the channels are perfect, only these 4 are dodgy?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Digital TV is transmitted in groups called multiplexes. These different multiplexes are transmitted at different signal strengths.
    It sounds like all the channels you mentioned are on the same multiplex. If you want to watch these channels then you will need to get a new aerial. Or I have heard that not all transmitters transmit all multiplexes so repositioning your aerial to point to another transmitter might help.

Mark.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mark but I would add that it helps if you use proper double-shielded "digital" coaxial cable. One continuous length from aerial to receiver without any breaks, joints or wall plates (more about this at the satcure.com web site). Ordinary TV coax is "lossy" at higher frequencies and is also susceptible to interference because of its poor shielding. Not to mention its age if it's the original on, say, a 30 year old house!

Fman