Freeview reception problem. This might be in the wrong thread!

scottydog68

Standard Member
My brother in law has special needs and lives in a shared communual house and a few weeks ago his TV stopped receiving a signal from the antenna. I visited him today for the first time since it stopped worrking and took this photo. You can see his aerial that I've drawn a blue line around. I know a bit about televisions etc. and I'm pretty sure all that scaffolding is NOT helping at all?! Could someone please confirm if this is indeed causing his reception problems? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20211015_123133.jpg
    20211015_123133.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 38

A1944

First question, as usual, is where is he? Maybe Frome like you, but maybe not. No need to give the exact location, perhaps a local shop or pub would be close enough.

scottydog68

Standard Member
First question, as usual, is where is he? Maybe Frome like you, but maybe not. No need to give the exact location, perhaps a local shop or pub would be close enough.
Hi, thanks for the reply. He's in Bath. The roof has a leak hence the scaffolding, it was fine up untill a few weeks ago which is roughly how long ago the scaffolding was erected...

A1944

Yes, the scaffolding could well be the cause as it is quite close to the aerial even though not, it seems, right in front of it. At about 15 miles from the most likely transmitter (Mendip I think, as the aerial is horizontal) the signal may not be enormous, especially, if my memory serves me from decades ago, with hills around the Bath area.

scottydog68

Standard Member
Yes, the scaffolding could well be the cause as it is quite close to the aerial even though not, it seems, right in front of it. At about 15 miles from the most likely transmitter (Mendip I think, as the aerial is horizontal) the signal may not be enormous, especially, if my memory serves me from decades ago, with hills around the Bath area.
Yes looking at the direction that the aerial is pointing in I am pretty sure it is the Mendip transmitter and the scaffolding is blocking the direct line from the transmitter to the aerial. Hopefully once the roof leak is repaired and the scaffolding is taken down the problem will be resolved. Just hope they don't take too long! Thanks again for your input.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
First DO NOT RETUNE his TV or other receiving kit.

I'd not expect the scaffolding to have any major effect on that aerial, as it's off to one side. Not so much as to lose all reception... one or two frequencies maybe but not all?
The scaffolding is also well over a metre away where proximity effects come into play.

That satellite dish however is almost certainly obstructed - it'd be a miracle for it not to be ;) Sure he's not fed from that dish?

That antenna has an (amplified?) splitter and at three outlets are fed from it underneath... are the other feeds also problematic? (His or other occupants of the building?)

Has the power supply unit to the amplifier been switched off or failed?

Have you gone over the cables and connections remaking any suspect ones. TV plug-feed from any psu need to be soldered or crimped types to ensure DC continuity and work reliably.

If his TV / PVR has an 'antenna power' option try turning that on to see if reception is restored?

There's another antenna on the roof (above the RH window). Is this rented or owned? Landlord may be responsible for check/repairs?

scottydog68

Standard Member
First DO NOT RETUNE his TV or other receiving kit.

I'd not expect the scaffolding to have any major effect on that aerial, as it's off to one side. Not so much as to lose all reception... one or two frequencies maybe but not all?
The scaffolding is also well over a metre away where proximity effects come into play.

That satellite dish however is almost certainly obstructed - it'd be a miracle for it not to be ;) Sure he's not fed from that dish?

That antenna has an (amplified?) splitter and at three outlets are fed from it underneath... are the other feeds also problematic? (His or other occupants of the building?)

Has the power supply unit to the amplifier been switched off or failed?

Have you gone over the cables and connections remaking any suspect ones. TV plug-feed from any psu need to be soldered or crimped types to ensure DC continuity and work reliably.

If his TV / PVR has an 'antenna power' option try turning that on to see if reception is restored?

There's another antenna on the roof (above the RH window). Is this rented or owned? Landlord may be responsible for check/repairs?
Why do you say to not retune? Not that it matters as I already have! I am fairly sure his TV is not fed from the satellite dish. It is a household where all the residents have special needs so not sure a landlord as such exists. I believe that a professional aerial engineer is being booked to come out to do a proper investigation now which seems the best option but thanks for your response.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Why do you say to not retune? Not that it matters as I already have!

Retuning loses all the old tuning memory 'placeholders' for the TV.
That makes fault diagnosis and fault correction more difficult.

e.g. a loose plug = no retune = pictures restored when corrected
retuned = correct loose plug - nothing - retune TV (yawn while waiting) - pictures restored.
and if the loose plug isn't the problem... try another fix... (wait while auto retune happens)
and repeat

'Special needs' suggests social housing, support workers, perhaps on site staff, to me? There will be a Landlord, especially in a House of Multiple Occupancy that you're describing. Alternatively one of them is the Owner-occupier and the others are Lodgers, so someone will be responsible for such things.
But it's really none of my business.

scottydog68

Standard Member

retuned = correct loose plug - nothing - retune TV (yawn while waiting) - pictures restored.
and if the loose plug isn't the problem... try another fix... (wait while auto retune happens)
and repeat

'Special needs' suggests social housing, support workers, perhaps on site staff, to me? There will be a Landlord, especially in a House of Multiple Occupancy that you're describing. Alternatively one of them is the Owner-occupier and the others are Lodgers, so someone will be responsible for such things.
Ah that makes sense.
Yes there are support workers and staff onsite. They have contacted a proper aerial engineer to come out, £65 call out charge seems excessive to me but I guess everything has gone up in price?!!
A few years back the government wanted people in these social housing type places to be more independent so things like this end up with the room occupier to foot the bill.
Anyway like I said I appreciate your help.

scottydog68

Standard Member

and repeat

Just an update on the TV not receiving any signal. The house where my brother in law lives has a main communal living room with a Phillips TV set up in there. This morning I took my brother in law's TV into that room and connected the aerial from the main room to his TV. Did a retune and bang!! 120 odd channels found and stored. Surely this tells us it is the aerial and most likely the scaffolding maybe causing the issue? At least now we can wait for the scaffolding to be taken down and then see if his TV can be retune in his room.

Gavtech

Administrator
As advised earlier ... Don't retune when you move the TV back.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Surely this tells us it is the aerial and most likely the scaffolding maybe causing the issue? At least now we can wait for the scaffolding to be taken down and then see if his TV can be retune in his room.
As Gavtech says DO NOT RETUNE (assuming the communal room aerial points at the same transmitter).

Connect the tuned TV to the aerial feed(s) in B-i-L's room(s) and the set will just work if the aerial is fixed/working and/or a connection fault fixed and/or the reception is restored by scaffold removal.

My money is still on a dodgy connections or no amplifier power supply to that black box under the aerial, more than the scaffolding... I'll rephrase my earlier question "What other outlets are fed from that aerial and black box???" are they working OK or???

If B-i-L's TV has an 'antenna power' option in the setup/tuning menu turn it 'ON' and see if that makes any difference?

What happened to the £65 aerial installer call out?

NB Bath: Receiving Mendip (aerial cross rods horizontal as pictured) is likely to need an amplifier. Bath has a relay transmitter that provides 45 channels and has the aerial cross rods vertical and is a stronger signal in many parts of Bath.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom