1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview reception problem on Hitachi 42pd7500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by yawningdog, Sep 7, 2005.

1. yawningdog

yawningdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've just taken delivery of my amazing Hitachi 42pd7500. Stunning picture quality. Last night was a serious drool whilst watching that underwater doco "Deep Blue" on BBC1. I'm sure all plasma viewers were thinking "money well spent".

BUT, I've got a problem with my tv. Every now and again it seems to forget all the freeview channels and asks to re-scan. This only happens when turning it on from standby, and doesn't always happen. It doesn't seem to loose the analogue channels though.

I spoke to the Hitachi helpline, and they said that it is an aerial problem and not a tv problem. But my aerial is designed for digital reception in weak areas. The signal strength indicator on the freeview is showing full strength! So what's the deal?

Any comments please.

2. Checkov

Checkov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just bought this plasma and I am having the same problems. I thought I'd have a read on the .net before I ring the helpdesk. I guess theres no point.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Thanks
    Checkov

3. Checkov

Checkov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just for anyone else that is having these problems. Yawningdog helped me out with this advice: -

:clap: :clap: :clap:

4. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's probably happening is that you are picking up a variable strength signal (probably from another transmitter) and this is making your set think that it has found some new Freeview channels. It then tries to download these automatically.

As Checkov says, disabling automatic downloads will prevent this. The downside is your set won't tell you when it genuinely does find a new channel.

Bob

5. Checkov

Checkov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahh, So I'll have to search for new channels manually every so often. I think I can live with that. Its better than setting them all up every day. :)

6. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or keep an eye on this site.

Bob

7. paulkelly111

paulkelly111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one, I've had this problem too and I thought I had probably just not installed the freeview properly in the first place :clap:

8. Scottbike10

Scottbike10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am having the same problem. I have had the set for about 3 weeks, and it has happened maybe 4 times that when I turn the TV on from standby it does an automatic search for channels. I have a professionally installed communal system and live in the West End, so it is unlikely that the aerial signal is weak.
    Also, twice now, when I change from any of the other inputs to DTT (e.g. DVD or satellite receiver) the screen is blank and there are not channels. If I power the system off, using the switch on the back of the set, and back on again, the channels come back (without the channel search).
    I will keep my eyes out for a solution.

PS the pic 42pd7500 on DTT is absolutely awesome, better then the DVD/component picture!